Coyote swapped 500.

CrimsonStang

Established Member
Yeah yeah it's blasphemy, yada yada. I'm looking at reaching 4 digit power numbers and really loving the coyote so I'm thinking about selling off the 5.8 and picking up an aluminator and an F1A procharger. First off, the car is a prior salvage so resale is already out the window. Just had a couple questions to anyone who may have knowledge on Shelby's and GTs. The swap itself is pretty straightforward, will bolt up to the 6060 with a new flywheel and clutch but I'm more so curious if the GT ecu would run the GT500 fuel system as well as like the radiator fans or if that will all need to be swapped out?
Any further knowledge is appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1st usa car

Established Member
going to say no on the fuel system because you cant even swap some of the 13/14 stuff onto an older gt500 because of the different ecus --- but i have no direct experience

sleek98

Established Member
Running a coyote ecu on my gt500 due to the 6r80 swap. You will want to go to a return style fuel pump and the ecu cannot see the fuel rail pressure sensor.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Yeah yeah it's blasphemy, yada yada. I'm looking at reaching 4 digit power numbers and really loving the coyote so I'm thinking about selling off the 5.8 and picking up an aluminator and an F1A procharger. First off, the car is a prior salvage so resale is already out the window. Just had a couple questions to anyone who may have knowledge on Shelby's and GTs. The swap itself is pretty straightforward, will bolt up to the 6060 with a new flywheel and clutch but I'm more so curious if the GT ecu would run the GT500 fuel system as well as like the radiator fans or if that will all need to be swapped out?
Any further knowledge is appreciated.

If Im not mistaken, the 11-14 GT and GT500 have the same physical ECU. GT's have different firmware than the GT500. Lund Racing successfully tunes GT500s running Auto Coyote ECUs for 6R80 swaps. The 13-14 GT500 cooling fan is the Ford racing Coyote upgrade if Im not mistaken.

As for the Coyote, Id tear it down and have the shortblock built. A lot of people would love a 5.8 Trinity longblock so it would easily help fund your project.

As for fueling, Id go straight to a Fore E85 return system. 11-14 GT and 13-14 GT500 have the same fuel tank too. If youre boosting, ID 1050X's at a minimum for E85.

Id email Lund to find out about pricing and tuning for what you want to do. Its possible that you wouldnt have to swap the physical ECU because youre sticking with the 6060.

Honestly though, that 5.8 is a brute when its built up. Build the shortblock, have the heads and lower intake race ported with some nice cams and it would beat a Coyote build. Certainly outflow the heads when ported.

CrimsonStang

Established Member
If Im not mistaken, the 11-14 GT and GT500 have the same physical ECU. GT's have different firmware than the GT500. Lund Racing successfully tunes GT500s running Auto Coyote ECUs for 6R80 swaps. The 13-14 GT500 cooling fan is the Ford racing Coyote upgrade if Im not mistaken.

As for the Coyote, Id tear it down and have the shortblock built. A lot of people would love a 5.8 Trinity longblock so it would easily help fund your project.

As for fueling, Id go straight to a Fore E85 return system. 11-14 GT and 13-14 GT500 have the same fuel tank too. If youre boosting, ID 1050X's at a minimum for E85.

Id email Lund to find out about pricing and tuning for what you want to do. Its possible that you wouldnt have to swap the physical ECU because youre sticking with the 6060.

Honestly though, that 5.8 is a brute when its built up. Build the shortblock, have the heads and lower intake race ported with some nice cams and it would beat a Coyote build. Certainly outflow the heads when ported.

Hey, I appreciate the reply. I do love having the 5.8 and am just considering options here. The 9.5:1 coyote aluminator crate engine, intake to oil pan, is just shy of 10k, I could probably almost get that for my 5.8, supercharger to oil pan, so a fully forged coyote with much more potential would almost be free. The forged 5.8 shortblock alone goes for over 10k, not including sleeving which is what I would have done.

As for fueling, I had planned on going full return but wasn't sure if that eliminated the GT500s FPDMs which I figured could only be controlled on the GT500s ECU.

Good idea on emailing and asking Lund since they do work on both ecus and my car is currently tuned by them. I'll shoot them an email.

I figured I'd have to give up launch control and traction control which I don't honestly use either right now since I have yet to get my new abs module flashed.

Thanks again for the input!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hey, I appreciate the reply. I do love having the 5.8 and am just considering options here. The 9.5:1 coyote aluminator crate engine, intake to oil pan, is just shy of 10k, I could probably almost get that for my 5.8, supercharger to oil pan, so a fully forged coyote with much more potential would almost be free. The forged 5.8 shortblock alone goes for over 10k, not including sleeving which is what I would have done.

As for fueling, I had planned on going full return but wasn't sure if that eliminated the GT500s FPDMs which I figured could only be controlled on the GT500s ECU.

Good idea on emailing and asking Lund since they do work on both ecus and my car is currently tuned by them. I'll shoot them an email.

I figured I'd have to give up launch control and traction control which I don't honestly use either right now since I have yet to get my new abs module flashed.

Anytime. The quality return style systems like Fore will have you tap into the KOEO power signal from the FPDMs to start the power flow to the pumps.

Now just to temper the expectation, they may say you need the Coyote part numbered ECU and then they can tune, maybe not. It all depends on what they are capable of and what they prefer.

I know there are some 11-12 guys running the 13-14 instrument cluster and ABS module that have full Trinity track app available. The ABS module from 13-14 control those functions so its should be possible for you to keep full functionality of your stuff.

One last thing on the engine that could be an option: Buy an 07-10 built iron short block from a place like JDM engineering and swap youre heads and cams over. Granted, its 100 pounds back over the front axle, but its much cheaper and all your factory parts bolt right up. Not to mention with proper pistons rods and ring end gap set, it will handle a SHIT load of power. Enough that the weight of the iron is a non issue. Youd need 5.4 head gaskets, but it easy peasy.

Lots of possibilies. As a gear head its a lot of fun to think of whats possible! Especially when its a little outside the box. Ive seen a ton of Coyotes with twin turbos that absolutely crush everything while rotating the world. And if you end up going Coyote, hey man its still a proven FORD platform. :D

CrimsonStang

Established Member
Anytime. The quality return style systems like Fore will have you tap into the KOEO power signal from the FPDMs to start the power flow to the pumps.

Now just to temper the expectation, they may say you need the Coyote part numbered ECU and then they can tune, maybe not. It all depends on what they are capable of and what they prefer.

I know there are some 11-12 guys running the 13-14 instrument cluster and ABS module that have full Trinity track app available. The ABS module from 13-14 control those functions so its should be possible for you to keep full functionality of your stuff.

One last thing on the engine that could be an option: Buy an 07-10 built iron short block from a place like JDM engineering and swap youre heads and cams over. Granted, its 100 pounds back over the front axle, but its much cheaper and all your factory parts bolt right up. Not to mention with proper pistons rods and ring end gap set, it will handle a SHIT load of power. Enough that the weight of the iron is a non issue. Youd need 5.4 head gaskets, but it easy peasy.

Lots of possibilies. As a gear head its a lot of fun to think of whats possible! Especially when its a little outside the box. Ive seen a ton of Coyotes with twin turbos that absolutely crush everything while rotating the world. And if you end up going Coyote, hey man its still a proven FORD platform. :D

See I'm really hoping that everything just kind of mates together since everything is from the same year but I know it can't be that easy.

I had thought of the iron block 5.4, it'd be a much easier install but I figured that would be just as taboo as a coyote amongst the Shelby community and if I'm going to be offending people I might as well do it with a coyote which is just an amazing engine and I'd shed a few extra pounds off the front end while doing it.

I went ahead and emailed Lund already so hopefully I'll get some more answers come Monday or whenever they have time.

And yeah people can't be too mad, it's not like I'm throwing an LS in a Shelby, I'd have to castrate myself if it even crossed my mind lol.

LOUDCOYOTE

Established Member

I would not drop the comp ratio on the coyote. You will regret it

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Really glad you posted this because you have one HUGE miss and that is block integrity.
Unless you're going to sleeve the Coyote, you will crack the Aluminator for your 1000hp goals.
The sleeved Coyote is impressive but until you're at 1200hp the 5.4/5.8 can hang without expensive sleeving.
The Coyote is more efficient and makes great power, but so does the 5.8 and will have a significant torque advantage.
Make no mistake, 4-digit power takes big money and when both built to the max, they will both be close. See MMR Pro mod running almost the same times with a Coyote based and 5.4 based TT combo.
The difference---Coyote is billet block and 5.4/5.8 is sleeved stock block.
The GT/GT500 heads can actually hold a slight advantage due to port volume when both ported to the max.
The math works on the 5.8 sell/Aluminator buy plan, but the block strength doesn't.
And yes, go turbo over the Procharger.
-J

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
All good info here.

I’ve had both and went back to the coyote because I love the high revving nature of the motor.

It all depends on your final goals. If that goal is 1000hp, the coyote will do it easier with far less $$ invested (unless you go with FRPP built iron 5.4).

If you are going max effort 1500 hp or more then it’s a toss up I suppose.

Another great option was mentioned and it’s a built iron 5.4. That’s probably the way to go for you honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread