Coyote Swapped 3V

BMR Tech 2

I've got a thread going on another forum, but I figured I'd post over here for my SVTP brothers and sisters as well!

I'm sure many of you are aware I've had nothing but valve train issues from 3V motors. Stock or modified, they just don't seem to like me. After having 2 separate issues in the last 3 months, I've decided that 3V life ain't for me! Instead of trading the car in and buying a Coyote, I've decided to swap the car instead. My car is just about paid off, so it seemed smarter to me to swap an engine into a paid for car with a bunch of suspension mods and personal touches vs trying to jump into a new payment.

So far I've budgeted around $4,000 for the swap, but I'm sure it will run over. I'm taking a trip to Chicago at the end of next week, and I would at least like to have the car running (probably not driving) before I leave.

The plans:

2014 F150 Engine:
30k miles out of a truck that was wrecked. The engine looks pristine in all the pictures. It appears to be complete from pan to throttle body. My plans right now are to leave it alone. The only differences I've found between the F150 and Mustang are the oil pump (may get swapped. Engine has a 6 month warranty, so I'm inclined to not void it) intake cams, and compression ratio. The truck is 10.5 vs 11 in the Mustang. I'm thinking with the Mustang exhaust and a tune, it will make for a fun car.

Intake/Exhaust:

Stock coyote air box and tube. Stock Coyote manifolds, cats, and H-pipe. This will more than likely be adapted to the 3V OTA pipes and run with either FR500s axle backs or GTBs.

Fuel system:

For simplicities sake, I'm going with a return style fuel system. This will be easier than trying to make a Coyote pump work with the 3V or make the 3V pump work with the Coyote PCM. The plan is to run a C5 Corvette fuel filter in place of the stock fuel filter. These are actually pretty neat filters. They have an internal 58 PSI regulator on them and a return line coming off. I will be running my return line right back to the stock 3V hat. To feed the rails, I will be running -6 AN lines from the filter. Fuel pump will be a Walbro 255. All in all, the system has cost me about $250-$260.

Accessories:

I will be using the Power By The Hour Coyote Swap kit. Reusing the 3V alternator, A/C compressor, and PS pump. The bracket kit looks to be extremely well made, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. In order to use this kit, you will need to use a 2014 MUSTANG timing cover. The F150 will not work with the PBH kit according to the folks over there. Good news, it's only about $100. Big shout out to Frank at PBH for taking the time to talk to me.

Engine Management:

The smart thing to do would have been to pony up for the Control Pack from FRPP, but I never do the smart thing. I will be running a stock 2012 PCM and making my own control pack. Of course, I will be getting lots of help from someone MUCH smarter than myself. Fortunately, I don't think the harness will be too complicated to make. Time consuming, yes! Difficult, probably not. Unless I've been drinking too much.

Driveline:

Stock coyote flywheel (~$120 new, what a steal!), TR3650 with my used Exedy 400, stock 3V driveshaft.

I started ordering parts Monday, and I expect to have most of what I need to get this done. Big props to all the people I've been bugging over the last 3 days to get parts shipped out and ordered up. So far the O2 sensors, timing cover, alternator pulley, and some misc stuff have shown up. Most of my fuel system should be here tomorrow/Friday. The engine is slated for delivery Friday. 2 day freight from NY to FL was surprisingly cheap! I'm really trying to get everything I need to get engine in the car and *hopefully* started this weekend. Then finish the other stuff up throughout the week.

I guess we will see if the car is bad luck and eats valves, or if it's 3Vs that eat them for me. Either way, my chances of valve/follower destruction have gone up 33.3333333333333333%!

Now, I'm going to get off my ass, get this car into the garage, and start yanking a 3V motor!

28516575711_ddf5192f9c_h.jpg

How the car was left last night. I'm waiting for a friend to come over with an engine leveler so that we can yank the engine and trans. I also ordered a blowfish bracket tonight because my car grinds second badly during a lot of quick shifts. I'm hoping this will help with that. If not, I will just deal with it until it's 6060 time.

28333114780_89be0c5e62_h.jpg

Some bad news today is that some parts I was really hoping to have tomorrow will not make it in time. One will probably show up Saturday, so thats not too bad. The other stuff is Monday. Not the end of the world, but for sure no start this weekend. It should give us time to work on the wiring without too much distraction though.

Adios!!!

28337255630_595f698686_h.jpg

The eagle has landed!

28017468583_6651e5e247_h.jpg

BMR Tech 2

Got the Coyote in this weekend and started work on the wiring. I had some MIA parts, so I didn't get nearly as far as I wanted to. I'm hoping to have the engine buttoned up tonight and the front end of the car back together. My clutch is trash, so I will be ordering a replacement from 13873249_1165161043536066_6107838446842699784_n.jpg

SD_Stang

Established Member
It may be minor but that Grill looks like a restrictive V6 grill. I'd either open up the honeycomb or find a custom one you like that moves a little more air. How is the suspension? (I'm guessing you shouldn't have trouble there) I'd probably update the shaft to an aluminum just because it's an upgrade weight wise and it is stronger piece over the stock 05-09 which was made to handle that stock 4.6.

BMR Tech 2

The grille is a Bullitt grille. They're too expensive and too hard to come by to risk damaging it, so it will stay the same. If I have issues with heat, I will figure something out. I don't see it being a problem though. The DS will also stay until I switch over to a different transmission, I'm planning on doing a 6060 down the road and don't want to buy two $700 driveshafts. Stock 05-10 GT driveshafts can handle quite a bit of abuse, and the car is more street than track. If it breaks, I'll take care of it then.

Suspension is definitely squared away. UCA, UCA mount, upper diff bushing, LCAs, relocation brackets, Watts link, front and rear sway bars, Bilsteins, and our SP009 springs.

BMR Tech 2

Got some more work done last night. Exhaust manifolds are on, top of the engine is put back together, and the accessories are half-ass on the engine. Tonight I will be finishing the accessories, reinstalling the crank pulley (I wanted to leave it off until I had the alternator on, since the timing cover needed some massaging), swapping back to my BMR motor mounts, and getting the front end back together. I may also try to get some fuel system work done, but we'll see how fast I can work, and how hot it is!

28719254635_9f454ca1b4_b.jpg

BMR Tech 2

Wiring started last night and the accessories are just about done. I need to figure out how I'm going to route my PS lines, as one shoots straight into the sway bar bushing saddle. I won't be able to work on the car from Thursday night to Monday night, but if we can keep the pace up on the wiring, the car should be running by the following weekend.

BMR Tech 2

Got some more finished tonight. We will be hitting the wiring pretty hard tomorrow night. Just waiting for the clutch and a few odds and ends to show up to finish everything. Fuel system goes in next week, and will hopefully be running by this time next week. The Blowfish bracket is really a nice piece. Thanks again to Steve @ Blowfish for making such a cool piece!

28138735934_6221951953_h.jpg

28138735794_adc459381f_h.jpg

TrickLittlePony

Established Member
Dylan, thanks for sharing. We all appreciate the extra energy it takes to take pics and make a post after a long day.

BMR Tech 2

I wish I could be more thorough, but we are thrashing to get this car done as quickly as possible. I was out of town this weekend visiting family, so I wasn't able to get anything done. My flight landed at 8 PM last night, I got home and threw the clutch/pressure plate in and routed my coolant lines. Tonight the trans, DS, and exhaust go back in. We still need to route some PS lines, cap a few vacuum ports that won't be used, run EVAP lines, do the fuel system, and finish up the wiring. The goal is to have the car on the road by the weekend.

This was Thursday before I left for the weekend.

13879209_296391104049198_8825347451116092886_n.jpg

BMR Tech 2

Looks like it's getting close

Very! A lot of the big stuff is done, it's just the zillion small things.

Why not throw on electric steering while you are at it? Should be bolt on?

I considered it, but even with used parts it would have added about $700 to the build. It's definitely on the to-do list, but not for a while. I wish I had an extra $700 kicking around right now to do it!

Users who are viewing this thread