OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
LMAO!!! I like the way you think Sid!

Money GIF

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You’re simplest route is slapping a blower on it.

Be done in a weekend

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Even that's mind boggling. I'd need different injectors, probably add a pro m maf and a tune.

And what kit? I would like a self lubricating one so I don't have to tap into the oil pan.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
Even that's mind boggling. I'd need different injectors, probably add a pro m maf and a tune.

And what kit? I would like a self lubricating one so I don't have to tap into the oil pan.

I’m not familiar with new self contained units. Last centri I had was in about 2001.

Tapping the pan isn’t bad but if you’ve never done it I suppose it’s strange taking a punch and hammer and blasting the thing lol

Injector and MaF swap is about an hours work

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
If it were me, I'd go with a 351 based 427. The cost difference in parts between 302 and 351 is negligible.

A decent NA build should yield 1.5 HP/ cu in.

The extra displacement will naturally make more power everywhere and torque galore; which will make every day driving fun and easy.

Pair it with a close ratio T56 Magnum and 3.55 gears, you'll have some long legs that can run.

You can fit it under the stock hood too.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

For simplicity, might want to price out a Torq-Storm deal too. I’m about to install one for a coworker on his newly acquired ‘68 Camaro
-J

TORQUERULES

Established Member
If you want to enjoy your car, have it reliable and not snort and buck like crazy, plus tons of torque for cruising, etc. then you cannot beat a dead simple 408 stroker windsor. Plenty strong with a stock block/girdle and you can get decent compression to run pump gas with about any simple kit. Use good heads, do not run into the "they are too big" trap (look at LS3 engines as an example here), run a nice hyd-roller camshaft, not too small, but with a lobe separation angle that allows good vacuum and a decent idle. and you will be surprised at the results. Carb or efi. No need to build a race engine for a street car if that is you intention. Remember that a notch body Fox is light. 450-500whp would be plenty to get you into all kinds of trouble.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

all the centri people offer self contained oiling units but if you're running any decent boost number the bigger bypass valves are obnoxious. It's fun bombing around town being annoying and definitely gets attention but it can get tiresome on a longer driver. Don't be fooled by things like the big red race valve recirculating option - good ****ing luck finding the hose/piping to accomplish that.

MG0h3

Established Member
If you want to enjoy your car, have it reliable and not snort and buck like crazy, plus tons of torque for cruising, etc. then you cannot beat a dead simple 408 stroker windsor. Plenty strong with a stock block/girdle and you can get decent compression to run pump gas with about any simple kit. Use good heads, do not run into the "they are too big" trap (look at LS3 engines as an example here), run a nice hyd-roller camshaft, not too small, but with a lobe separation angle that allows good vacuum and a decent idle. and you will be surprised at the results. Carb or efi. No need to build a race engine for a street car if that is you intention. Remember that a notch body Fox is light. 450-500whp would be plenty to get you into all kinds of trouble.

I put a 408 in my 73’ CJ5.

Def rips and tons of torque.

I def like the extra you top with boost though.

Not totally sure what FI intake setups are available for those though. Do they make good aftermarket stuff?

I wouldn’t recommend turning an injected car into a carbd car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
If it were me, I'd go with a 351 based 427. The cost difference in parts between 302 and 351 is negligible.

A decent NA build should yield 1.5 HP/ cu in.

The extra displacement will naturally make more power everywhere and torque galore; which will make every day driving fun and easy.

Pair it with a close ratio T56 Magnum and 3.55 gears, you'll have some long legs that can run.

You can fit it under the stock hood too.

That's close to what I'm running in my 65. A 351W stroked to a 427. However, I'm running a beefed up TKO 600 and 3.88 gears in a Ford 9 inch. I also installed a Mc Leod dual disk clutch with a hydraulic throw-out bearing. Should be a lot of fun when it's done.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
That's close to what I'm running in my 65. A 351W stroked to a 427. However, I'm running a beefed up TKO 600 and 3.88 gears in a Ford 9 inch. I also installed a Mc Leod dual disk clutch with a hydraulic throw-out bearing. Should be a lot of fun when it's done.
I'm sure it will keep a smile on your face.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm familiar with the 408. I had 408 EFI setup in my old 91 GT back in 08. Definitely not a bad idea though. I could stick with a stock block.
I put a 408 in my 73’ CJ5.

Def rips and tons of torque.

I def like the extra you top with boost though.

Not totally sure what FI intake setups are available for those though. Do they make good aftermarket stuff?

I wouldn’t recommend turning an injected car into a carbd car.

When I had a 408 EFI setup I ran a Edelbrock Victor intake. I don't believe they make those anymore.

Some guys go with a carb style lower intake with bosses for injectors. Then a 90* elbow on top that connects to the throttle body.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I'm familiar with the 408. I had 408 EFI setup in my old 91 GT back in 08. Definitely not a bad idea though. I could stick with a stock block.When I had a 408 EFI setup I ran a Edelbrock Victor intake. I don't believe they make those anymore.

Some guys go with a carb style lower intake with bosses for injectors. Then a 90* elbow on top that connects to the throttle body.

I built a simple 408 for my uncle's 90 GT. It is a stock truck block with a girdle, a simple dished piston stoker kit with a cast steel crank, ported Victor Jr. heads, a Victor intake, a 950 cfm carburetor, Hooker headers that came with the car (1 3/4" primary), 3" exhaust, a mechanical flat tappet dirt track cam from Comp cams (chosen for the intent of 1/8 mile racing as it was tailored to provide the quick short acceleration that a dirt track car needs so it fit very well for this application), and a 9" with 4.56 gears with a build C4. He runs M&H 28x12.5 cheater slicks. It runs consistent 5.90s in the 1/8 mile NA. Compression works out to about 10.7:1. Not as high as I would have preferred, but he is cheap and would not spring for more custom parts. It is just a pieced together car done cheap with a careful eye on the camshaft and heads/intake.

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
all the centri people offer self contained oiling units but if you're running any decent boost number the bigger bypass valves are obnoxious. It's fun bombing around town being annoying and definitely gets attention but it can get tiresome on a longer driver. Don't be fooled by things like the big red race valve recirculating option - good ****ing luck finding the hose/piping to accomplish that.
Sssssssssssssssssss what I can't hear you sssssssssssssss

Ssssssssssssssssss

Sssssss

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If I had to do it all over again, I would choose a Coyote engine over the Dart block, AFR head 363 I have now.
I would be making more HP for the same money, considering the current combo.
Now, with the 7.3 Godzilla coming into the fray, I would be very tempted to do a 7.3L engine.
The Coyote cylinder head pretty much outflows just about any conventional head Ford engine available.
The RPM potential is off the charts.
I am speaking from the perspective of a drag race, serious effort combo. I know that it does not fit your criteria, but that is my take on the issue.

Last edited:

PearlWhiteGT

I know this a few months old but I've been running a simple set up for over 10 years, car doesn't get driven much though.

Mods: 306 stock block, E303 cam, stock heads, 1.6 RR's, Chinese intake, 70 mm TB, 80 mm PMAS, 42lb injestors, MSD dizzy and box, full exhaust, old V1 S-Trim and it dyno'd 396 hp/398trq at 10 psi max on 93 octane. Fun little street car.

PRnQIkT.jpg

PRnQIkT.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread