Coyote swap - help with wiring install

NotsoFastFreddie

Established Member
Looking for someone with experience with Coyote swap. 1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra platform. 2018 Gen 3 - MT82 going in.

We have a custom harness made, PATS off PCM and are ready to drop the running SVT 4.6 out and install Coyote.

Would like to pay an experienced guy to help with hook up of harness. Harness is labeled and emulates Ford Performance.

SoCal build. Costa Mesa CA.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Just curious, so the custom wiring harness will make everything work like factory? what is Pats off? do you change the PCM or keep the stock one and will it pass OBD ii california smog test and the visual ? Where/who did you have a custom wiring harness made?

NotsoFastFreddie

Established Member
Lots of good questions.

1. Yes. 2018 engine and body harness strip down to minimum needed to run engine and trans. Cobra body harness will run most everything else. A few tricks to get gauges working but its been done. We are attempting to pass CARB so our build is 100% stock, everything out of a 2018 Gen 3 MT. Gas tank, evap, stock airbox, all emissions equipment, etc... all stock.
2. PATS is the Ford factory security system. If you are not going to use the keyless factory start button and fob you must delete the security feature. Stock PCM is being used sans the security feature delete.

Hotwireauto.com makes these custom harness (you ship them your stock harnesses and they modify) as does Mi Ty (on facebook) Brown Tyler Brown.

Ideas on wiring guy to help with install?

NotsoFastFreddie

Established Member
Found a local guy.

Hope to pull low mile SVT Cobra engine and trans next weekend. Minor fab for gas tank and CATS off the 2018 but we are ready. QA1 K Member and lower control arms on 2018 along with Prothane mounts. We are using the MT82 so we bought the Stifflers crossmember. Plan is to use the stock shift lever so cut and welding the remote arm is on the list.

If anyone has had success or failure with this MT82 mod please post up experience.

UPDATE

QA1 K Member doesnt fit with Gen 3 stock exhaust headers. Called QA1 and they forgot to mention in their fitment guide that they used BBK LongTubes in their mock up. One more mod to the build. Plan is to cut and weld up top tube on QA1 and shim motor mounts.

Last edited:

NotsoFastFreddie

Established Member
well six months into swap car starts, runs and drives. Huge project. Anyone that says its a bolt in swap is nuts.

See bighatracing on youtube for our build story.

Brian Tyler Brown on facebook mi ty did the custom harness as ford performance doesnt make a carb legal control pack. Eric Brooks did our pats delete as our goal is carb cert and to use all stock parts from our 2,808 mi takeout from midwaymustang

We are still chasing an intermittent no start condition but we are well on our way

Today I could use some help as I need a wiring diagram showing back of stock gauges on my 1999 svt cobra cluster

working on stock gauges to run and have all working sans tach and speedo. Bought sta1000 DD box but need the color wire for tach and speedo from back of cluster plug. DD says tap those two signal wires, run to box and it will pull signal from PCM

My Haynes manual color wire in their diagram is wrong. Book is 1994 to 2004 but doesnt reference the can bus change in 1999

Anyone have this all data or? they can send me please?

Lews99

Lots of good questions.

1. Yes. 2018 engine and body harness strip down to minimum needed to run engine and trans. Cobra body harness will run most everything else. A few tricks to get gauges working but its been done. We are attempting to pass CARB so our build is 100% stock, everything out of a 2018 Gen 3 MT. Gas tank, evap, stock airbox, all emissions equipment, etc... all stock.
2. PATS is the Ford factory security system. If you are not going to use the keyless factory start button and fob you must delete the security feature. Stock PCM is being used sans the security feature delete.

Hotwireauto.com makes these custom harness (you ship them your stock harnesses and they modify) as does Mi Ty (on facebook) Brown Tyler Brown.

Ideas on wiring guy to help with install?
I'm looking for the same help, I've reached out to the folks quoted in this thread for the harness as I want to do a CARB legal swap too and I'm looking for a local NorCal shop that can help with the wiring install in the Sacramento area does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
well six months into swap car starts, runs and drives. Huge project. Anyone that says its a bolt in swap is nuts.

Brian Tyler Brown on facebook mi ty did the custom harness as ford performance doesnt make a carb legal control pack. Eric Brooks did our pats delete as our goal is carb cert and to use all stock parts from our 2,808 mi takeout from midwaymustang

We are still chasing an intermittent no start condition but we are well on our way

Today I could use some help as I need a wiring diagram showing back of stock gauges on my 1999 svt cobra cluster

working on stock gauges to run and have all working sans tach and speedo. Bought sta1000 DD box but need the color wire for tach and speedo from back of cluster plug. DD says tap those two signal wires, run to box and it will pull signal from PCM

My Haynes manual color wire in their diagram is wrong. Book is 1994 to 2004 but doesnt reference the can bus change in 1999

Instrument cluster

Fwiw.

Chilton library host the ford manuals free. All makes and models

Pm for Instructions to get in.
Links keep getting closed.

joe12289

Established Member

Hey @NotsoFastFreddie bro, did you ever figure out the intermit no start issue. I have an 01 Cobra Coyote Swap that suffers from the same issue. I'm pretty sure it an electrical issue. Loose connections or something. I

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread