Coyote Stangs - smallest wheel for autox? +looking for cheap wheel set options

matt5058

Established Member
Hi all,
I'm set on doing some autocross in my 2014 GT this summer and I'm interested in picking up an extra set of wheels for autocross usage, as my Stang is currently my only vehicle. I was thinking of picking up as cheap a set of 18s or 19s as possible but was also wondering if anyone has used a smaller wheel, such as a 17, do do autocross or road racing with.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on some cheap/light wheels for this purpose, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

cheers

matt5058

Established Member
Anybody?

Also, wondering which class I would run in. Some quick searches indicate maybe F-Stock? My car is stock except for Roush axle backs.

thanks

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
You should run F-street. Are you in the Washington DC region? If so I can help you out. I run with WDCR and am the president of Autocrossers Inc. I also run a nationally competitive 2005 mustang in CP, formerly ESP. What rear gear ratio is in the car? That will determine what wheel diameter you run.

BLKFOX

Established Member
I run alot of 18" wheels on the cars, here at Ridetech. There are alot of good tires to choose from, we run alot of Falkens but there are still others, if you want a cheaper route. Our 2012 and 2015 have been doing great on them.

matt5058

Established Member
You should run F-street. Are you in the Washington DC region? If so I can help you out. I run with WDCR and am the president of Autocrossers Inc. I also run a nationally competitive 2005 mustang in CP, formerly ESP. What rear gear ratio is in the car? That will determine what wheel diameter you run.

I am in DC. I was actually looking at the WDCR schedule and exchanged a few emails with Heidi in the club office. My Stang has the 3.23 rear.

I picked up a set of the Brembo 19 inch wheels with some used tires and was thinking of using those for my first few events and then either sticking with those with better tires or using my stock 18"s and using the Brembos for daily driving.

I need to pick up a helmet and get registered with the SCCA. I'm hoping to attend the autox event on June 21st. Thanks for chiming in.

matt5058

Established Member
I run alot of 18" wheels on the cars, here at Ridetech. There are alot of good tires to choose from, we run alot of Falkens but there are still others, if you want a cheaper route. Our 2012 and 2015 have been doing great on them.

Any thoughts on what size tires typically on 18s? If I could use my stock GT wheels and put some decent tires on there for autocross events, I figure that might save me money on buying another set of wheels. I can use my new 19s too, like I mentioned above but I do want something that looks nice for regular driving.

BLKFOX

Established Member
Any thoughts on what size tires typically on 18s? If I could use my stock GT wheels and put some decent tires on there for autocross events, I figure that might save me money on buying another set of wheels. I can use my new 19s too, like I mentioned above but I do want something that looks nice for regular driving.

On our s197 car, we're using 245/35-18's. If it were my personal car, I'd try to get a little bit wider of a setup. The 2015 we're testing is running a bigger setup, I'll do some digging for you.

Users who are viewing this thread