Coyote in an 03 & up Crown Vic P71.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
These cars are pretty cheap & extremly solid. We have a bunch of them at work. I'm kicking around the idea of swapping in coyote/6 speed auto. Seems like it would be pretty easy as long as I get everything from the same source..ECM etc. I don't expect to see too many donor cars anytime soon, but at some point.... Now that they're putting a version of the engine in the F150's, perhaps it might happen sooner than expected.
Viable?

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
Would be just the right amount of power, imo. Even the marauder seems like it's a knife at a gunfight for some of the modern sport sedans.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Have not done one, have not seen anyone claiming they have done one, but it should fit and with that 6-speed auto would make a great stoplight sleeper and a really nice highway cruiser.

Crown vic hydroboost or vacuum brakes?

You will need a 2011-2014 Mustang GT engine & trans, with their wiring harnesses to the PCM, and the PCM. Get the body harness (the other 70 pin connector on the PCM) so you can cut that up to fit the crown vic. This harness contains wiring to the MAFS, Cooling fans, HEGOs, etc as well as the critical power and ground leads. (It also contains headlight wiring and a bunch of other stuff you will not need, but get it!)

2011 and newer PCMs have a communications link to 5 other modules, the CAN bus, and the engine will not run without these other models being powered up and connected to the PCM. (Anti-loc brake module, Air bag module, cluster, Accessory module, and one other, not sure what it is right now.)

But, soon the aftermarket will have a solution, a small module that hooks up to the CAN link (2 wires) and then tricks the PCM into thinking all those other modules are present and working. Should be out for sale by the end of 2013. Once this device hits the market, doing powertrain swaps with 2011 & new Ford powertrains will a lot simpler to wire up.

Use the Mustang's alternator and AC pump, and just add the aftermarket PS pump that mounts backwards on the passenger's side of the water pump. Stock Crown Vic mod motor mounts work on the 5.0L engine, trans mount from Mustang will work once you modify the Crown Vic' cross-member location. Vic's radiator and trans cooler should work fine. You will need the driveshaft transmission flange from the Mustang and will need to make a driveshaft, but most any driveshaft shop can make it.

Anyone else see any issues?

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i just saw a Lincoln with a 5.0. The two door. i think the mark 8?

it was on the facebook somewhere

48prerunner

Established Member
Good to know I plan on dropping one in my 69 f-100 I have a crown vic crossmember. I already have my motor mounts and the ford racing control pack just shopping for the engine now.

ginger_qc

Established Member
i want to make this happen! i think it'll take around 10-15k, and that's if i can find a good deal on a salvaged mustang or pullout powertrain. i've been wrestling between swapping a terminator or coyote into my 2004 crown vic. one of the two is gonna happen,

48prerunner

Established Member
gonna need a different oil pan the crown vic cross member and coyote pan not happy with stock mounts. I moved it back and up for my swap.

JasonSnake

Established Member
i just saw a Lincoln with a 5.0. The two door. i think the mark 8?

it was on the facebook somewhere

Look up Bobby Underwood on Youtube. He has quite a few videos of his black Mark VIII with a twin turbo Coyote and 4R70W(?). I think the guy owns a speed shop and he's done some major mods to that car. But a Coyote will still fit in an otherwise stock chassis. This is my dream someday to do the swap to mine.

edit: oops, sorry - I didn't see how old the thread was. Sorry!!

Users who are viewing this thread