Coyote Harmonic Balancer Install Help

soundgarden0405

Established Member
So a little background on my project, currently in the middle of a coyote swap into a 93 coupe. I bought the Power By the Hour brackets to install 96+ A/C, Alternator, and power steering pump. Part of this install is removing the timing cover and enlarging a hole and taping it to install an alternator bracket. Removing the harmonic balancer and cover was simple, but the problem I've run into is re-installing the balancer. All of the harmonic balancer install tools will not fit into the coyote crank. They have the correct threaded tool to fit the coyote but the outer diameter after the threads is to large to fit into the crank opening. I have tried three different install tools from orielys, NAPA, and auto zone. They are all just a tiny bit to large. Does Ford make some special tool required to re-install the harmonic balancer? With the balancer pushed on as far as I can get it by hand the original bolt is about a 1/4" from engaging the threads in the crank. I do not want to use the bolt to install it, but it's not even an option at this point. What am I missing here?

shoracer

Established Member
We used All Bar thread in the same thread as installer tool. We cut the head off the original crank bolt and welded it to the all bar thread. Had to use a spacer or two to get the damper on since we did it that way. Did make a three prong tool to hold the damper from moving. Just took 3/8" bar stock, cut it three length, semi thought out bends on all three lengthd to catch the three legs of the damper. Welded that together. Worked perfect. Ain't stupid if it works.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
Find a 140 or 150mm long M12x1.5 bolt at Fastenal or some other place. MMR sells one for 13 or 15 dollars.

soundgarden0405

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I was able to order a M12-1.5 All Thread bar and used that in combination with the install kits I could check out at my local parts store. It went back on with out any issue. The all thread was only sold in meters so now I have quite a bit of extra length laying around. If any one else needs some all thread to reinstall their harmonic balancer shoot me a PM and I can sent you what you need if you cover shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread