Coyote Fox Swap: NA vs Turbo

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey!

I wanted to get some thoughts and there is much more traffic here than the Coyote forum.

I have a 93 Fox notch that is getting a Coyote swap. The plan was originally to go with a CG Fab turbo hotside/TH400 combo. The more I look at dyno numbers I'm thinking a CJ intake /Comp Cams Stage 3 cams combo may get me to my goal of 10.00 in a light coupe. The turbo will make a ton more power but I don't really need all the power for a fun street/strip car. Plus not as much fabrication for the NA combo. The turbo engine could all go under a stock hood but it's already got a cowl hood on it. I like the sleeper look of a stock hood better. The car only has a roll bar so if I go faster than 10.00 I would need additional bars too.

Any thoughts? If the admins don't like the thread here, feel free to delete.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
I would normally say save and invest in FI, but going into a lightweight Notch you lose some of the allure with a turbo in my mind. You can go a lot of routes for massive power if you need it, throw enough boost at most platforms and you can make gobs of power.

A high revving, deep breathing 420+rwhp NA sleeper Coyote in a notch just seems more badass to me.

01bluesnake

Established Member
N/A hands down for a 10 sec notch. A coyote motor with cams and supporting items should be able to get there, assuming weight stays low. Just take a look at coyote stock class cars.

CSG

Established Member
Why only those two options? Centri can fit under a stock hood and there is a TVS running around with a small cowl hood. I hate Procharger but they have a coyote swap fox kit that looks pretty nice. Paxton can be done as well.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
I had been on the turbo thought for so long then N/A popped into my head. Might throw the motor I have down in there for now N/A then if it isn't hitting my goals go with boost of some sort.

I wonder how big of a hood the TVS would take.

CSG

Established Member
The one I saw was under a 2 1/2". I believe the pulley was turned down and I'm sure k-member spacers were used. I've seen two of them on the net with the TVS.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Yeah I've seen the Procharger Transplant kit. The engine is still in the crate right now so just thinking through options.

Bud

Established Member
I'd do N/A, then when you tire of it and want more you have somewhere to go (turbo). Get some enjoyment out of it at each level before going crazy

CSG

Established Member
I have a fox coupe as well with plans to put my coyote in. The advantage to me of NA is the ease of having PS and A/C using the aftermarket brackets. Since I plan on using my JT I am looking into electric PS pumps and/or electric A/C compressors. Also fitting a decent intercooler is an issue without hacking the car up.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Yeah ac and PS aren't a concern in my car. These LX noses are a PITA and not a huge fan of the Outlaw or GT style front bumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread