Couple questions about the TOB and clutch cable/quadrant

86caprirs

Established Member
Yesterday I had my Cobra at work and pulled the tranny for the squeaky/rattle throw out bearing noise. After I pulled the trans I noticed that my TOB was seized onto my TOB sleeve that was floating in the clutch fork. Not impressed but it just turned the small quick job into a bigger one. So I am on the Summit racing site and I found the replacement Mcleod TOB retainer sleeve. I already have the new HD FRPP TOB so I am just waiting to get the retainer sleeve from Summit. As I was there I am looking into a new clutch cable (stock cobra) and aluminum quadrant since I still have the stock plastic quadrant under the dash. They have either the FRPP kit M-7553-D302 or I can buy just the Steeda double hook quadrant 555-7000 or the Steeda 555-7000-F. I guess the 555-7000-F has a Ford Logo on it for $6 more. Who cares when it is under the dash.

Now my question.

If I buy the new stock Cobra clutch cable, can I use just the Steeda aluminum quadrant with the stock cable and it will work properly or do I need to use a firewall adjuster?

Or do I go with the FRPP kit that comes with the cable that is adjustable and the quadrant as a kit?

Right now there is so much flex in that cheap quadrant and the pedal is very heavy so I want to make sure the quadrant is strong and durable enough for the task. I am guessing the pedal is heavy because the TOB was seized onto the retainer sleeve. Oh and the clutch has Valeo stamped on the pressure plate so I am guessing it is stock.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help. I want to get this car fixed so I can get it out of the shop.

Last edited:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Keep the stock quadrant and just replace the cable with a factory OEM. Adjustable quadrants and cables etc do nothing but cause problems.

Users who are viewing this thread