Could Ford be testing Godzilla in a Mustang?

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Here is the link showing a weird prototype. Hear me out: Could this good bulge be because they are testing a Godzilla engine with the truck intake on temporarily so the bulge is needed to clear the throttle body exit that exits upwards in the truck?

Probably not, lol, but fun to speculate.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is a strange hump. There's probably not a Godzilla under the hood, as you said, but you do wonder what is under the hood that's being hidden like that. Here's a pic of the Godzilla with the upward facing intake.
iu

Here's an interesting article from AutoMotoBuzz. Note the "small possibility" explanation below in bold face. Does seem plausible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We know an all-new S650 Ford Mustang is just around the corner, but what Ford’s doing with this recently spotted test mule is a wild-looking mystery. It’s not uncommon to see wild aerodynamics or fender flares on camouflaged prototypes, though it’s safe to say this isn’t that. Then again, I don’t know what it is.

Spotted by spy photographers is a car even they describe as “a rather bizarre Ford Mustang prototype.” Most of it appears to be a current-gen Shelby GT350 but it’s got a very conspicuous, defining feature: one hell of a hood bulge. Actually, I feel like that’s underselling it. It’s more of a hood… protrusion.

message-editor%2F1646942064061-ford_mustang_gt350_mule_3.jpg

It’s black and looks tacked onto the hood in order to conceal something rather than it being an actual part of the car. It also appears to be completely closed-off so any sort of blower or intake here wouldn’t be doing the car much good.

Interestingly, there is precedent to Mustang mules sporting weirdly bulbous hoods. Way back in 2011, a previous-gen Mustang was spotted with a similar-shaped forehead. That car turned out to be a Cobra Jet dragster, something that quickly became obvious given the fact that it was riding on drag-style wheels and tires. This new car, however, has none of that. It just looks like a GT350 with stock (albeit scuffed up) wheels and the biggest of hood lumps, which begs the question: What the hell is this thing?

Is Ford experimenting with sticking tiny four-cylinders on top of the Voodoo V8? Are there a bunch of hamsters on hamster wheels under there as part of Ford’s new initiative to provide alternative mobility solutions that don’t rely on outrageously expensive gasoline?

In all seriousness, there’s a small possibility that this could be related to hybrid tech. We hear the next-gen ‘Stang could reportedly get an electrified all-wheel-drive powertrain, so maybe it’s a makeshift enclosure for battery components. Or maybe it’s something entirely different. Regardless, there’s no way a production model would ever have a reverse cowl like this.

If you actually have an idea of what’s going on here, don’t hesitate to reach out.

message-editor%2F1646942088480-ford_mustang_gt350_mule_2.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Wasn't there another thread on this that mentioned something about it possibly being a EV related? I know the article mentions it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't recall seeing it being EV related in another thread, Brad. Maybe.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Hard to imagine Ford would do the emissions spending unless they could get a good run out of it.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Thats the new hood to meet the new European crash standards.

Cant wait for the next mustang GT premium to cost $60-70k

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ToddW702

Established Member
Maybe a new hood design? Under it if course, not the bulge.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt we'll ever see Godzilla in a factory mustang. There may have been a chance before the commies took over, looks pretty slim now.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt we'll ever see Godzilla in a factory mustang. There may have been a chance before the commies took over, looks pretty slim now.
I agree but we can hold out for a last of the ICE Mustang special edition to give us an all aluminum 7.3 Godzilla based Boss 429?
You and I and every other Ford Mustang guy can take it from there. Save DCT $$$ with a 10R80.
Just add Whipple. Or Procharger.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread