Could/Did you sell a long owned car?

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Just curious if you guys and gals have ever sold long owned cars that were kinda like family.
Bought my GT new in 2003 and have spent an endless amount of money, frustration, blood, sweat and tears throughout the years modding it. And while it runs as good as ever, it is still slow and just not comparable to modern cars.
I met the love of my life thanks to this car and had so much fun with it and still have.
But still wonder if it is time to let go and get something newer and faster.

Have you ever been in this situation and what did you decide? If you sold it, did you ever regret it?

lets hear your thoughts!
thanks
Ana

lastcall190

Established Member
I've only ever been attached my current daily driver which I suppose is ridiculous, but it has more sentimental value than any of my other cars. I will drive it until it rots out then give it a viking funeral. Every other toy or whatnot I was interested in moving on from, so those choices weren't really bad.

Good luck.

ssssnake

Established Member
Yes. My 1969 GT-500 that's in the left corner of my avatar. I found it and purchased it in the 80s. My husband and I drove it and showed it for at least ten years. We started having transmission problems and stored it in the garage with the plans to fully restore it. Well, twenty years went by, my husband passed away, and it still sat. I finally let go of a lot of hopes and dreams and sold it a little over a year ago. I still miss her, but at least I owned her for 30 years.

Machdup1

Established Member
Cars are like girl friends, when they let themselves go or become bitchy, you get a new one; however, sometimes you miss the old one and wish for just one more ride.

Sometimes you just see one that you just have to have and you can't afford two so you trade her in on a different model.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Sold my 98 cobra that I built thru college. I traded it for a 69 chevelle body. I miss it to this day. But had I not traded it, I wouldn't of sold the Chevelle for what I did, and then be able to buy my 2016 5.0 which helped me be in a better spot on the car I traded in on the 5.0. Which I then sold outright because they were hot tomatoes and I got out of my upside down financial situation on the cars. Now all my shit is paid off and I am sitting much better.

Just sucks I had to sell the cobra for it.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
In 2006, I sold my 93 Mazda RX-7 that I fully built from the ground up, after owing it for 7 years. I bought it 100% bone stock in 1999, before the FnF craze. I did so much work, including a Greddy T-78 turbo, FMIC, street port, brakes, wheels, blow off valve, downpipe, full exhaust, customer tuner and injectors. It had a curb weight of 2800 lbs after all the work, and put down 420 hp on a conservative 14 psi tune. Within 6 months of selling it, I got an email from the guy who bought it with a link to it featured on Mazda's website.

But since I was moving to Texas it didn't seem practical to bring it down here, so I sold it and ended up with a 2001 Lightning.

Edit - found an old picture still floating around the web. Looks like under the hood has been changed since I owned it.

7358_Mazda_RX-7_713200735814AM1.JPG

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I sold my 93 Mazda RX-7 that I fully built from the ground up, after owing it for 7 years. Greddy T-78 turbo, FMIC, street ported. It had a curb weight of 2800 lbs after all the work, and put down 420 hp on a conservative 14 psi tune.

But since I was moving to Texas it didn't seem practical to bring it down here, so I sold it and ended up with a 2001 Lightning.

That would be a fun little car!

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Totaled my lightning that I had from 2000-2005(hurricane Katrina), bought it back in 2007 and totaled in 2015. Had 0 plans to get rid of it. It was like family.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I've had a couple I may get again when I have a lot of time and money to build into high hp cruisers, but so far whatever I replace it with brings a bigger smile to my face. Life's too short to only enjoy a few cars in a lifetime when there are so many options.

Branhammer

Established Member
Sometimes I do miss my old '96, but I think that's only because I had it for 10 years and had a lot of time in it. Did a lot of the work myself. It was also my first performance car, unless you count my first car (shitty 1989 Camaro), which I do not.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Ive owned my 02 GT since 2008 (bought it at 18), now 27 and while I have been having thoughts on selling, I dont know if I can. Ive done so much work to it over the years to the point where its basically a new car. Doesnt cost me anything to own, other than insurance and PM at the moment. I want something new, but dont want to make the commitment just yet to a auto loan.

Rare40th

Established Member
This thought has been pondering through my mind for almost 4.5 years. Every time I've gone to sell it I've gotten cold feet, which has/hasn't been a bad thing. I've owned the car since 2009, my father bought it new in Oct of 2004 and unexpectedly passed it down to me. Car had 33k miles in 2009, now sits at 101k. 6k miles on a new motor/trans. Newer suspension parts. And the last 2.5 months I've had it apart giving it a deep clean and restoring it back with factory parts. Sadly I've put only 1700~ miles on it in the last year and a half.

As much as I love the car and the memories, I would sell it and probably will for sure this go around. There's too much I want to do and do not feel the need/want to tear this car apart to do those things

Coiled03

Established Member
Done it multiple times. Sold 3 mustangs, most recently my Cobra that I had for 12 years. It sucks in the moment. But after awhile, you realize it was just a car.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I owned a 2003 Mercury Marauder from 2007-2014.

Bought it with 6400 miles, sold it with 32,000 after 7 years.

While I really enjoyed owning the car, I really didn't get to drive it much, and it was black, always cleaning it.

The only comfort I get out of selling it is I paid $21,000 in 2007, sold it for $14,00 in 2014. But that weekend was the weekend Apple stock split 7-1, so I bought 150 shares of Apple at $95/share, and today it is at $150+, so my investment is worth today $22,500.

It's like I owned the car for 7 years for free.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
owned my 97 very now for 7 years. its stock and its slow but i dont care. i do wish it were faster of course, but i plan on keeping it because i have 2 little girls (4 and 8) that say "punch it daddy" and laugh and laugh. they love the top down and cruise with their sunglasses on in the backseat. when my oldest was real little, she would run to the car and point to the cobra and say "daddy look! cobra, tssssss!" even now, my 4 year old calls mommys Jetta "the black car" and daddys car "the Cobra".

so, i cant get rid of it, at least not yet. the kids love it too much.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
also depends how much you can get for it if you sell it. it may be better to just add another car next to it if you can.

your car should be great with that coyote in it. think about how much lighter it is than an S550 with the same engine. :eek:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I've sold cars I regretted selling afterwards for sure, but it wasn't necessarily for the reason/s you are stating.

I base pretty much everything off of the value I get from it. I played the keep up with the jones' game, chasing factory HP, modability etc. At least for me anyway, what I found was that going faster didn't automatically correlate to having more fun, which is ultimately what I'm after with my toy vehicles.

There's a reason my avatar is still a fairly stock 99 Cobra. It's the car that I had the most fun with and met the best people through. It's among the slowest cars I've ever owned, but it had sheer fun factor.

If you have fun with your current Mustang, who cares that it's not as fast as modern cars? There's always somebody faster out there.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
thanks for all the responses. I never thought about selling it before because I always said nobody is going to pay me anywhere close to the amount of money that is in it and nobody is interested in such a modded car anyway.

But at the last big show there was a guy that spent at least 2 hours staring at every inch of the car and making me an offer that I couldn't believe.
Any normal person would have taken the money and passed on the keys right there but I said no. He increased his offer, I still said no.

Now 3 weeks later and another time that the car annoyed me because the powersteering pump broke it got me thinking again. The money would almost buy me a 2017 GT fully built with loads of power, auto trans, AC and daily driver qualities, I hate to admit the thought is tempting. But I'm worried that I will regret selling the one car I wanted for such a long time and my first car that I bought new.

Users who are viewing this thread