Corvette ZR-1 vs. Corvette C5 video

04HillzGT

Established Member
They say that the zr-1 ranks up there with the current z06 as the fastest vettes ever produced this video is evidence that they are probably right

FSSNK

Established Member
LT5 ROCKS! DOHC 32 Valve is the shit. Come to think of it thats what the Cobra has. Smaller displacement but boy those cams and valves breathe.

2000-S6

Established Member
2 great cars...
given both mods (more for the C5), my estimate was hp being about the same at 345-350 RWHP each.
i may be wrong, but the c5 driver could have shifted better. great race nonethe less.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Those ZR-1's are tough as hell. Alot of people under estimate them, even some Corvette owners I think, simply because they're C4's.

They are good, stock, for atleast mid 12's I know that much. (I'v seen em run in person)

I remember it was a big thing when the 01 Z06 came out that it was the first Corvette to finally surpass the infamous ZR-1 for being the best over all performing production Corvette ever. What really kills the ZR-1 in comparison to the Z06 is the fact it weighs over 3500lbs. Still though, that ZR-1 is one tough SOB, and I'd like to own one some day. They were deffinatly well ahead of there time.

(I still think that Late C4/ZR-1 body style was the best styled Corvette to date. Of course thats just me.)

Last edited:

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
One problem for them is they're expensive as hell to mod. That and you cant just take it to any Chevy dealer to get service on it. The technicians have to be ZR-1 certified in order to do stuff to 'em.

Outside of that, they're beasts. 93-95s are more powerful, but the 90-92s arent anything to laugh @ for most people. They're extremly nice cars, and if you have the $$$ you can make some serious power

Panhandle_ws6

Established Member
i would say even faster than 155. anyone know what top of 5th gear speed is and then part of 6th. That was a woopin though. I love the ZR-1's. I even have the ZR-1 rims on my T/A.

MadHandle8169

Established Member
I don't know how fast they were going but the slogan for the ZR-1 when it came out was life begins at 180mph. I'm pretty sure they have a higher top speed than a C5 or even Z06. But thats just gearing.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Ling_650vette
One problem for them is they're expensive as hell to mod. That and you cant just take it to any Chevy dealer to get service on it. The technicians have to be ZR-1 certified in order to do stuff to 'em.

Outside of that, they're beasts. 93-95s are more powerful, but the 90-92s arent anything to laugh @ for most people. They're extremly nice cars, and if you have the $$$ you can make some serious power

Wouldnt Lotus be able to work with em since they helped in the developement of the engine?

No offence to GM, but its hard enough to find a competent enough GM mechanic to work on your regular Chevy motor, let alone something like the LT5, as it is. :D

Last edited:

Paul Vincent

Established Member
The ZR1's potential wasn't even tapped before Chevy/GM abandoned it. And I believe that to this day, the ZR1 has the greatest build potential of any Vette engine (if you've got deep pockets).

Users who are viewing this thread