Correctly setting up the TOB/cable/adjuster?

hatchke

Established Member
Car I purchased came with a 26-spline McLeod clutch with an adjustable pivot but with no firewall adjuster, stock quadrant, etc. The TOB was squealing pretty bad so I had it swapped out for a new FRPP piece and same deal already, it's chirping at me pretty good.

I cranked out the firewall adjuster out until it barely made noise, but still does on occasion. The clutch also releases at the very very top of the pedal throw. It just feels like none of this was setup correctly, so what do I do here?

It seems like I need to change the pivot ball height to change the clutch engagement point and also give everything else some room?

Ideally how should all of these things work in conjunction?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the firewall adjuster is not to set engagement points, it is what it is from that perspective. I'm not sure what else could be done from either a multi-hook quadrant or the pivot ball

MG0h3

Established Member
Lift up on the clutch pedal as the stock assy is self adjusting

You want the TOB spinning at all times.

Best to get a firewall adjuster and aftermarket quadrant.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Do you currently have a stock quadrant or an aftermarket quadrant with firewall adjuster? Your post is a little confusing on that.

hatchke

Established Member
Ah yes, sorry my initial post was very rambling being so frustrated haha.

Currently have:
FRPP firewall adjuster
MM single hook quadrant

Should I try a multi-hook quadrant and use one of the lower/mid settings on it? I think i'm missing some fundamentals on how a clutch cable setup works.

Edit: watching that video, I did take the slack out of the cable which helped the noise, but probably made it too tight if anything.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The RXT tends to grab high no matter what you do. I would look into the Steeda pedal stop. I originally had the Maximum Motorsports pedal height adjuster and it didn't give enough pedal throw for full release. I went to the pedal stop and put the pedal where I wanted it. It also moved the pick up point closer to the floor.

Just FYI, if you run the pedal stop you'll need to put a zip tie around the clutch switch under the quadrant. Otherwise the cruise control doesn't work.

hatchke

Established Member
Dumb question - there's no way there's enough room to adjust the pivot ball through the inspection cover?

Systemax302

Established Member
Right, but i I popped the fork off the pivot and pulled it forward towards the pressure plate?
I highly doubt it. The input shaft/TOB sleeve will be in between the pivot ball and where you disconnected your cable.
I've never heard of someone adjusting the pivot ball with the transmission in the car.

I've been going around in circles with a TOB chirp issue on my car as well. Still not resolved.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Right, but i I popped the fork off the pivot and pulled it forward towards the pressure plate?
There's no way to reach it through the inspection hole. The trans needs to be pulled. The bright is the bellhousing can be left attached to the engine.

cobracide

Established Member
Check your TOB sleeve on the chirp.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
setting the pivot ball blows for sure, where a trans jack is super handy if you can keep everything straight and level should just roll in and out for the most part.

hatchke

Established Member
Ok awesome, this is all about what I expected. Thanks all for chiming in and helping get my head around it. I'll ride it out how it is for the next bit longer and probably just end up replacing the TOB while i'm in there again anyway.

I should have a roof on the garage in the next couple weeks and the car should be under the knife anyway for all my other projects.

jbou91

Established Member
The RXT tends to grab high no matter what you do. I would look into the Steeda pedal stop. I originally had the Maximum Motorsports pedal height adjuster and it didn't give enough pedal throw for full release. I went to the pedal stop and put the pedal where I wanted it. It also moved the pick up point closer to the floor.

Just FYI, if you run the pedal stop you'll need to put a zip tie around the clutch switch under the quadrant. Otherwise the cruise control doesn't work.

That's incorrect, a properly setup clutch should catch an inch or two off the floor. If its releasing to close to the top more than likely riding the clutch which will wear down faster

My firewall adjuster is nearly all the way out and grabs right near the bottom. Should have about 1-2 inches of dead space on each end

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That's incorrect, a properly setup clutch should catch an inch or two off the floor. If its releasing to close to the top more than likely riding the clutch which will wear down faster

My firewall adjuster is nearly all the way out and grabs right near the bottom. Should have about 1-2 inches of dead space on each end.
Just going by what mine was like and what my buddies is currently like. I think he still has the stock quadrant. So there isn't any adjustment he can do. I'm not sure what quadrant my car has as it was there when I bought it. I've always adjusted the cable so the TOB is just touching as that's how the stock set up does it. Even with all that it grabbed on the high side. I've since added a pedal stop and made some changes so it grabs lower to the floor.

If your firewall adjuster is nearly all the way out you need to check your stuff. Either your cable has stretched or you need to move the cable to a different hook on the quadrant. If your quadrant has multiple hooks that is. You have little adjustment left for when your clutch starts to wear. What clutch do you have BTW?

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member

My firewall adjuster is nearly all the way out and grabs right near the bottom. Should have about 1-2 inches of dead space on each end

Lol what!? So your entire clutch engagement throw is like an inch.

No ****ing thanks. That’s like an on and off switch.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jtkz13

Established Member
My RXT is very near the top as well, but its not an on/off switch. I can crawl it along with no chatter or noise, its just at the top of pedal travel.

Subscribing to see how you fix it, I'd like it to be in the middle or closer to the floor as well. :/

Users who are viewing this thread