correct T 56 fluid ?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Ok, after my recent motor rebuid. I put Amosil synthetic in it . after about 800 miles. I started to notice when I go into first gear at a stop and dont wait long enough for the input shaft to stop turning all the way it grinds. If I go to second then to first it does fine. Sorta like the old T5 didnt like going into reverse unless going into first then reverse.
Am hoping or Asking should I go back to the original Ford Fuild?
Never noticed this before . I did also do a spec3 plus and 26 spline input shaft conversion.
Thanks

itSSlow98

Established Member
Sounds like an internal issue, fluid wont affect that especially if it didnt do it for the first 800 miles.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Most of them miles where interstate break in miles . And alot of stop and go at all.
I seen on the corral These T56 Dont like synthetic fluids. Fixing to get final dyno tune.

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
Ok, after my recent motor rebuid. I put Amosil synthetic in it . after about 800 miles. I started to notice when I go into first gear at a stop and dont wait long enough for the input shaft to stop turning all the way it grinds. If I go to second then to first it does fine. Sorta like the old T5 didnt like going into reverse unless going into first then reverse.
Am hoping or Asking should I go back to the original Ford Fuild?
Never noticed this before . I did also do a spec3 plus and 26 spline input shaft conversion.
Thanks

Mine started doing the same exact thing after my spec stage 3+ install, It never did it before and I put factory fluid back in! Or at least what ford uses now, they no longer use what came factory in our cars, Thought about trying something different if anyone has any suggestions.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Mine started doing the same exact thing after my spec stage 3+ install, It never did it before and I put factory fluid back in! Or at least what ford uses now, they no longer use what came factory in our cars, Thought about trying something different if anyone has any suggestions.
my car has 32, 000 miles on it. I never noticed this before the swap. If yours does it with non synthetic fluild , mine will most probably still do it.
Its like the New input shaft needs a new synco on it when the swap is done? I did shim the input shaft maybe its too tight in our case? I didnt replace the pliot bushing but put hi temp grease on it. Yes dex III Cant be found anymore ford says to use dex. V now ?
Am going to replace fluid first and give it some time. If dont work I will have to remove trans. And change synco and check the slider. I was going to go 4R70W soon. But might be alot later on. If not at all.

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
my car has 32, 000 miles on it. I never noticed this before the swap. If yours does it with non synthetic fluild , mine will most probably still do it.
Its like the New input shaft needs a new synco on it when the swap is done? I did shim the input shaft maybe its too tight in our case? I didnt replace the pliot bushing but put hi temp grease on it. Yes dex III Cant be found anymore ford says to use dex. V now ?
Am going to replace fluid first and give it some time. If dont work I will have to remove trans. And change synco and check the slider. I was going to go 4R70W soon. But might be alot later on. If not at all.

I forgot to say I did not do the input shaft mine is still stock I just changed the clutch and flywheel. So it might not be your shim, I did use dex v fluid this time around if you use anything else or come up with a solution please let me know, Mine dose not do it all the time but once in awile!

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I will let u know if the new correct fluid don' work in my case .I will have to pull it. Take the shim out I added and also replace the first gear synco when I have it open..

Am just go ahead change fuild first anyway Cheap! Then after final tune if dont fix it then when it's off the road fix it.
If Iet the input shaft come to a complete stop like holding pedal down for long time .it dont do it. If not I have to second then to first if I have to move off quick.

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Did you change anything else like

Clutch cable
Clutch adjuster
Cutch quadrant
yes all you mentioned.
I was googling last night .Big discussion on this . Penny free play or 20 lb. Cable preload. They where going at it with each other like a dozen drunk redneck chicks lol. But whats the right way . I know I turned on my firewall adjuster both ways.

Bigggy

Established Member
I had a similar problem after doing a complet clutch job including a Steeda clutch cable. I had a hard time going into gears at a high RPM. After a long search on the web I found someone with the exact same problem than me and he said that the culprit was his Steeda cable.

In my case I changed the cable back to the OEM but I didnt drove the car long enough after that to know that the problem was fixed.

I'm pretty sure thats comming from the clutch cable or adjustment.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Thanks man. Its just first gear. Am going to check adjustment first chance I get . If not may try ford fuild .or just pull the transmission back out. And check Blocker ring. The 1st gear is the one that goes into in input shaft correct?

BMR Tech

My transmission builder advised me to run parts store trans fluid. He said not to worry with the higher end synthetics, etc. I believe he filled it for me, with Valvoline.

I spoke with Donnie from D&D in depth about this ( I run a freshened up, additionally modded D&D Viper Spec), and he said just run what the factory calls for, and also stated that there was no "need" to get fancy with the fluid.

Donnie also said that he has tested a bunch of fluids in his personal builds, and his favorite "go-to" fluid for the T56, is Redline D4 ATF

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - D4 ATF

Tractionless1

Established Member
My transmission builder advised me to run parts store trans fluid. He said not to worry with the higher end synthetics, etc. I believe he filled it for me, with Valvoline.

I spoke with Donnie from D&D in depth about this ( I run a freshened up, additionally modded D&D Viper Spec), and he said just run what the factory calls for, and also stated that there was no "need" to get fancy with the fluid.

Donnie also said that he has tested a bunch of fluids in his personal builds, and his favorite "go-to" fluid for the T56, is Redline D4 ATF

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - D4 ATF

Redline D4 was very gritty feeling to me. Didn't like Synchromax, OE, Amsoil Synchromesh, or Mobil 1. What works fabulously is Amsoil Torque Drive. Check out the specs on their website. Its ATF just like OE.

Users who are viewing this thread