• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Corbic, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Klaus

Klaus Premium Member Premium Member Established Member

we are in the midst of massive deflation.

03Sssnake and jpro like this.
  2. 1996slowbra

1996slowbra Well-Known Member Established Member

Because they believe that higher education should be free regardless.

They are correct that it hampers downstream economic activity, people with hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loan debt are less likely to purchase cars, homes, etc.

3. jpro

jpro Disoriented Poster Established Member

Well, near the beginning of the article it states "Ferguson’s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States and 500,000 in the U.K. from COVID-19 if no action were taken to slow the virus and blunt its curve." Obviously, both countries (moreso the US than the UK) have taken some extreme action to "flatten the curve." Whether our actions result in a steep decrease in fatalities in the US remains to be seen. And you're right, it could be propaganda to calm the hysteria.

LOL @1996slowbra beat me to it. Great minds think alike!

4. VRYALT3R3D

VRYALT3R3D Well-Known Member Established Member

Increasing the money supply increases inflation.

lOOKnGO likes this.
  5. 9397SVTs

9397SVTs Well-Known Member Established Member

No stimulus check for me, however, I'm certain that there will be a bill in my future.

6. jpro

As an administrator who has worked in higher education for over 15 years, I can tell you that the number of college students who are rudderless with no direction is astounding. If you want to reduce student debt, we have got to reform higher education and build up alternatives like the trades to meet the demands of our rapidly changing world/economy. I don't think we should throw a bunch of money at loan forgiveness as it is a symptom of a larger problem. If we reform higher education, debt will come down drastically and more people will be working in careers they enjoy and are good at because there will be more options to choose from to get to where you want to go career-wise.

black4vcobra, jvandy50 and lOOKnGO like this.
  7. PowerWheels

PowerWheels Anti-Bullshit Established Member

They should not be forgiven aka paid for by me. They took the loan, paying it back teaches them responsibility.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8. VRYALT3R3D

VRYALT3R3D Well-Known Member Established Member

Or maybe get the government out of the student loan business and tuition will have to decrease because there is no one guaranteeing the loan.

jvandy50, scott9050, Klay and 6 others like this.
  9. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Established Member

I'm pretty sure this pandemic will either A) drive some major reform to higher education, or at the least B) wake people up to the fact that in-person learning is not the necessity it once was. Distance learning as the norm is getting a major push with this.

10. Klaus

Klaus Premium Member Premium Member Established Member

You do not understand economics. Do not pretend that you do. If you did you would recognize that the fed does not create money. This is a painful conversation for those that do not grasp it so I am not interested in debating it with you. Trust me when I say that it is true. It is why we did not have any inflation after all of the stimulus >2008

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    03Sssnake likes this.
  11. hand-filer

hand-filer Active Member Established Member

Seriously? Italy and Spain rank 1 & 2 as the healthiest countries in the world. USA ranks 35th. You haven't seen nothing yet in terms of how bad it's going to get in the US of A. Trump is now mulling stationing troops at the Canadian US border. For what? To keep us from crossing into your country? Ya right! Good luck to y'all.
    These are the 10 healthiest countries in the world in 2019

ON D BIT likes this.
  12. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

That tends to happen when there's basically no demand and excess supply. Not a lot of cars, boats, RVs, washing machines, etc being sold right now.

That loan money didn't get tossed into a wood chipper. Members in the college industrial complex got to spend it.

Probably would be a lot less degrees in left handed puppetry being handed out.

13. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Established Member

True, but he also said it was because they learned it was much more transmissable than they thought, leading them to believe many more people were already infected.

14. 1996slowbra

We need to stop telling kids they HAVE to go to college to be successful. Encourage taking a couple of years off after high school, get a job, travel the world etc. I went to College right after high school, worst thing I ever did. But the thing was I though I had to do it, so I did.

It should be dis-chargeable in bankruptcy though. Its bullshit that its one of the only loans that cannot be discharged, it means lenders will give money to anyone with a pulse because they know, no matter what that debt will stay with them forever.

jpro likes this.
  15. 1996slowbra

No they said they think it has been spreading for up to a month prior to them actually detecting it, that is not more transmissible that means they just didn't detect it. Im going to call BS on that though, there is no corroboration of that in the medical community, a claim like that needs to be backed up.

16. jpro

I agree that the government being involved in the student loan business is not a good thing, but you would be shocked at how much it costs to keep a university running. Universities rely on state funding (if they are public universities) to stay afloat because tuition doesn't cover all of the expenses...not even close. You could argue that there is a lot of mindless spending at universities, and I wouldn't disagree, but the issues are much more complex.

Before I went to graduate school I was a K12 classroom teacher (my bachelor's degree is in education). There are no less than seven (7) different ways a learner learns, so moving to online instruction is a dangerous idea. People tend to learn by one or a combination of the following: visual, aural, verbal, physical, logical, social, and solitary. If you think we are behind other countries right now in terms of our educational system, wait until we move to distance learning. We will be the dunces in the class. I'll take "A" in your scenario instead. LOL

What does this all mean though? Is it like the college football rankings where two teams have identical records and Team A beat Team B but Team B is ranked higher than Team A? All I know is that in Italy, Spain, and other European countries they live in squalor compared to us, and they have some terrible health habits (smoking, etc.) not to mention the areas that are hardest hit by CV19 (Lombardy, etc.) are filled with people over the age of 60.

17. FJohnny

FJohnny Well-Known Member Established Member

No kidding. You take on a loan and agree to repay it. Why the hell would you think anyone else should pay for it now? Geeez...

Imagine you sacrificed and did without so you could pay yours off in a few years. Your neighbor, a good for nothing layabout who keeps moaning about his still outstanding balance 15 years or so later, suddenly gets some or all of it paid off. Do they retroactively go back and find you to hand you a cheque as well? I'm guessing NO!

Man up and pay your bills, deadbeats.

Again, spot on. Handing tuition money to pretty much anyone for pretty much any bullshit degree that has zero chance of ever paying off is such a typical government business strategy. Get them out, get prices down and, as mentioned, get more online programs going.

18. 1996slowbra

They live in Squalor? Have you ever been to Europe? I spend probably 6 months a year (normally) going between the US and Europe. Their baseline standard of living in all but a few countries is higher than ours. I was actually supposed to be in Scotland for work as we speak, but uh, yeah, for obvious reasons that was pushed back.

You are correct they have more smokers, but they are also healthier, they walk more, they are less likely to have cars, they are more likely to rides bikes ETC, ETC.

19. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

I don’t think banks could make it so you couldn’t file for bankruptcy to get out of the loan. I could be wrong.

Regardless, I don’t think people should be able to file bankruptcy or default on the loans. Unlike loans for a tangible item, you can’t take/repossess the education/benefit the person gets from the education/degree.

“You’re full of $#!+”
    Joe Biden

svtperformance.com mobile app

black4vcobra and FJohnny like this.
  20. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

COOL COBRA likes this.