Corner light plug replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Well thsi is my first walk through, and its something thats easy to do yourself and takes about 10 minutes for both sides.
Id like to thank RideThe for the parts and idea on doing this :)
Ford was going to charge $113 bucks to do this...while cutting my original harness and soldering a new one in.
Now don't get me wrong soldering is a viable alternative...if your wires were cut, if they werent save yourself the time.
Now on we go.

First round up all your tools
A 7mm socket either on a ratchet or a driver
A SMALL flat blade screwdriver
And well...I used my Leatherman...no geek can be without one :D

tools.jpg

Next up grab your plug replacement...I only took a pic of the part number (this is for an 04 Lightning...I don't know if older models will be the same sadly. if someone does know PM me and ill update this)

walk1.jpg

once its out of the bag you are greeted with a black plug...look in the plug and you are greeted with this

walk2.jpg

I removed the wires before these pics were taken but just follow and do the same.
grab the plug and insert the small flat blade from the leatherman and press it against the "notch" in the white retaining ring and pry upwards and pop the ring off the plug

walk3.jpg

remove the ring all the way

walk4.jpg

and you are greeted with a nekkid plug, note the little tabs behind the metal plugs circled in red.
The "rounded" edge of metal plug is the "top" for this walk thru.

walk5.jpg

use the SMALL flat blade to GENTLY pry those tabs UP and pull the wire out of the plug. do this for all three wires and you are left with the empty plug (like in the first pics)

walk6.jpg

now go to your truck and pop the hood.
Find this screw and use the 7mm socket to remove it

walk7.jpg

pull the light housing STRAIGHT out towards you and *boom* out it comes.
Unplug the light and set it aside.
with the harness at the truck pop the original white retaining ring off of the plug and use the SMALL screw driver to remove the individual connectors like you did before.

walk8.jpg

do the wires one at a time unless you are good at remembering where they went.

walk9.jpg

once they are all inserted in the right sockets

walkl.jpg

snap the new retaining ring onto the plug and hook your lights back up and test them.
you are done and saved yourself some decent cash, and if you are really anal about things like I am...your plugs are not broke anymore :)
enjoy guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread