cops or sparkplugs

jvc1990

Established Member
does anyone know about ohms resistance on 01 mustang cobra.i checked cops with multimeter in auto.left bank:cyl 1-.7-.9ohms, cyl2:.7-1.1ohms,cly3:.5-.7ohms,cyl4:.5-.6 ohms..... right bank cyl1:.8-.9ohms,cyl2:.6-.7 ohms,cyl3:.7-.9 ohms, cyl4:.9-1.0 ohms. plugs were different colors some darker than others. i hope someone can make sense of this, is it the plugs or cops thanks for all the help in advance.

jvc1990

Established Member
i guess it would help to tell what is doing. the car starts good ,but at idle it sounds like a missfire somewhere. going to clean the maf to see if that helps.

jvc1990

Established Member
I bought the car used, my mife and i we have put about 3,500 miles since purchase.i have no idea since last tune up. had the coil covers off and it has accel supercoil the part # is 140034 & the plugs are motorcraft-AGSF-32N. i dont know how old they are,they dont look bad at the tips . but that dont always mean anything.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Whenever I buy a used car I give it the full treatment. Spark plugs, fluids, cleaning the MAF, etc. Basically start to ground zero under my care. I haven't heard of too many people using the Accel coils. I'm not sure how reliable they are.

jvc1990

Established Member
thanks slo984now,i will probably pick up some spark plugs & try that.cleaned the maf yesterday with crc maf sensor cleaner, & no change in idle .probably go with autolite xp-104 pluigs. then maybe change out the coils if no change after new spark plugs. i will probably use royal purple 5-30 xps & rp filter. if you any better susgestions about parts mentioned let me know. thanks

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would look into NGK for plugs. I ran Autolites for a while and the NGK's seemed to perform better. At least on my set up. IMO, Royal Purple is a waste of money. Mobil 1 will work just as well and save you a couple bucks. Personally I run the Motorcraft synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter. Although now that I've fixed my oil leak I might change over to Mobil 1 again.

shurur

Established Member
I would look into NGK for plugs. I ran Autolites for a while and the NGK's seemed to perform better. At least on my set up. IMO, Royal Purple is a waste of money. Mobil 1 will work just as well and save you a couple bucks. Personally I run the Motorcraft synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter. Although now that I've fixed my oil leak I might change over to Mobil 1 again.

Whenever I buy a used car I give it the full treatment. Spark plugs, fluids, cleaning the MAF, etc. Basically start to ground zero under my care. I haven't heard of too many people using the Accel coils. I'm not sure how reliable they are.

I apoligize up from for my first attempt at muliple quotes..as I have no idea how this will work out once I hit he submit button:

I would do what slo984now has said. I got my car at 48K and have driven it to 100k+ all on luck...this is on my agenda for this Winter. It's best to do these things up front and then see how the car stands...

Also Kendall w/titanium is not a bad oil and inexpensive on sale at autozone..and you can change it youself and return the old oil to autozone.

Last edited:

jvc1990

Established Member
I just put autolite app-104 plugs in car, it sounds alot better. after i got back from town i seen the posts maybe, next time i will try some ngk.as for as the oil goes i think i will stay with motorcraft oil & filter.

jvc1990

Established Member
BLACK*DEATH, yes i changed the fuel filter about 2 weeks ago. on 10-19 i put 8 new app-104 plugs in engine. my wife drove car to town add back trip was less than 40 miles. started the car up to put it back in the garage & guess what, the engine sounded like it was missing again. the guy at the parts store says it is the coil packs. i pulled the new plugs out this evening & the 4 plugs on driver side all looked good. but on passenger side 3 out of 4 plugs at bottom of plug near the threads there was soot on them.i guess i have 3 bad coils.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
BLACK*DEATH, yes i changed the fuel filter about 2 weeks ago. on 10-19 i put 8 new app-104 plugs in engine. my wife drove car to town add back trip was less than 40 miles. started the car up to put it back in the garage & guess what, the engine sounded like it was missing again. the guy at the parts store says it is the coil packs. i pulled the new plugs out this evening & the 4 plugs on driver side all looked good. but on passenger side 3 out of 4 plugs at bottom of plug near the threads there was soot on them.i guess i have 3 bad coils.

Put a peice of masking tape on top of each coil and use a marker to number them. This will help to keep track of what coil came from what cylinder. 1-2-3-4 on the pass side 5-6-7-8 on the driver side.

Swap the suspect coils from the pass side to the driver side and see if the problem follows.

Be careful pulling the spark plugs out of the engine when its hot. The steel threads of the spark plugs and the aluminum threads in the head can gall when they're hot. The aluminum threads in the head will lose the fight everytime.

Last edited:

jvc1990

Established Member
thanks guys for all the help. dont know of anyone around here that has a cobra. i may try switching the coils to the other side. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread