COP covers, are they painted or aluminum-spray coated or what?

DOHCavanti

Established Member
I know this sounds weird and maybe you will not care, but I would like an answer.

I bought a pair of 2010 valve covers to send out for powder coating in Ford blue wrinkle and also got a pair of FRPP COP covers M-6067-C (which are the silver 2013/2014 covers). Hoping to just get a brighter engine compartment (not a fan of dull black v/c's, black blower, black hoses, etc).

Anyway, my wife got the COP covers for me for Christmas and noticed a real foul smell. Hard to describe, skunky, but also cough-medicine smelling smell. I took them back to the FRPP dealer and got another pair, but they smelled too. I mean, they smelled up the living room!!! The bubble wrap smells, the inside of the box smells, and the rubber gaskets even smell. I sat them outside for 2 days, then washed them in Simple Green, then Dawn dishsoap, still smells!!!! WTF!

I thought maybe it was the rubber gaskets because I got a new pair of Nitto tires and they smelled very similar. I cleaned the crap out of them and no difference either.

Are they painted rough silver paint (like wrinkle paint) or is this a spray-on aluminum coating (like Blackjack did to their AK5000 headers in the 1980's)? I am thinking spray-on aluminum, because this isn't any paint smell I ever smelled before (the smell is exactly like a "substance" in a folded piece of aluminum foil in a desk drawer in my uncle's bedroom smelled back in the 1969/1970 - I remember that smell, but never knew what it was).

I guess I wouldn't care, but if the garage smells like that or if every time I pop the hood I smell this nasty smell I will be pissed!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread