Cooling the Intercooler

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
A guy at work and I were talking about how to cool the intercooler more than usual by using an extra one in the bed with ice on it in a cooler of sorts. Well, he said something about spraying the factory one with co2. I've heard of doing this with nitrous but not the co2. The only downside was you had to keep it from the air intake. Does it work and if so is it worth the trouble to fab it up? The ideal set up he said would be to aim the nozzles down to ward the ground. :shrug:

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The CO2 method works but I think your missunderstanding how it works. Nitrous and CO2 are compressed at very high pressures which makes them inherintly cold when they get released at high speed. The idea behind it is to spray a mist of this cold release over the Heat Exchanger, not the intercooler itself. If you had an Air to Air intercooler than naturally you'd spray it right over the intercooler itself.
It does work but I don't know how much it would be worth on a relatively stock or mildly modded truck. If you wanted to keep it away from the intake (which I don't think would be that big a deal) you could always just spray the mist from the back side of the heat exchanger. I really don't think the CO2 or Nitous sprayed in the open air would cause any problems if it was inadvertantly drawn into the intake air. The amount injested vs. the amount of incoming air would be minimal if any.

Last edited:

andy

Sucks Gas, Hauls A$$!
Established Member
this has been covered before, on a water to air intercooler the gains are close to nothing/minimal, you'd be better off getting a larger intercooler or a interchiller from one of the vendors for the price of one of those kits.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
PistolWhip said:
The CO2 method works but I think your missunderstanding how it works. Nitrous and CO2 are compressed at very high pressures which makes them inherintly cold when they get released at high speed. The idea behind it is to spray a mist of this cold release over the Heat Exchanger, not the intercooler itself. If you had an Air to Air intercooler than naturally you'd spray it right over the intercooler itself.
It does work but I don't know how much it would be worth on a relatively stock or mildly modded truck. If you wanted to keep it away from the intake (which I don't think would be that big a deal) you could always just spray the mist from the back side of the heat exchanger. I really don't think the CO2 or Nitous sprayed in the open air would cause any problems if it was inadvertantly drawn into the intake air. The amount injested vs. the amount of incoming air would be minimal if any.
Sorry, I should have said heat exchanger. I didn't think it would help normally, but on a hot day it would do some good. A few weeks ago it was 95 degrees outside. If that setup could take off 25 degrees long enough to get a run or 2 in it would have been worth the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread