Cooling Fan Switch diagram please!

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Yesterday I spent the day trying to diagnose the issue with the cooling fan not functioning on high speed, and came to no conclusions. I tested every section of wiring, etc. etc. I decided to stop spending countless hours and cash on trying to figure this out, and just wire both low and high speed fan settings on switches which I did and it works perfect now! I did it extremely roughly, just running the wires to my passenger seat for the day, but I did use heavy duty components.

I cut into the fan wiring in the passenger side inner fender where the harness runs from the fan towards the CCRM. I ran the fan ground directly to a body ground in the inner fender, then ran a 12ga wire from each of the 2 positive fan wires to individual switches in the car. Then I ran a power line from the battery, with a 40a inline fuse, into the car, and ran it to both switches (as seen in the diagram).

My plan is to run both fan speeds off ONE double pole double throw switch, instead of the 2 single throw single pole switches I currently have run. Here's a rough diagram of what I did:

e0894ba1-a5b6-4795-abbd-d257f07e2391_zps671098d6.jpg

I've been doing some reading on the best way to wire this up, and it seems if I run a relay, I can then run smaller gauge wire off the relay into the car and use a smaller, less heavy switch. It works perfectly as is, but I have 2 giant switches in the car right now and they are difficult to mount discretely, not to mention if I run only 1 switch with 2 speeds on it as opposed to 2 separate switches, I can never accidentally have power feeding to both circuits.

I need someone to please look over my diagram and advise me where it would be appropriate to install a relay so I can run thinner gauge wiring into the car for a smaller switch. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread