Cooler recommendations please

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
We are looking to do some camping this summer and i want a cooler that will keep the ice for longer than a day. Looking between 50-65 qt. RTIC and YETI seem to be the top brands everyone talks about.
Thanks!

SHOdown220

Established Member
the rtic drinkware I’ve got performs exactly the same as yeti, I would expect about the same with the cooler. That being said they used to be considerably cheaper than yeti but seem to have creeped up quite a bit lately.

Blown 89

Established Member
I bought an 65 QT RTIC because it was half the price of a Yeti and it performs just as well as my brother’s Yeti. Be careful with the big models, they are impossibly heavy.

My only complaint is that sometimes the top is hard to open but my brother's yeti has the same problem.

Bronze123

Established Member
I use a rtic 65 quart for anything more than a day trip. It does get pretty darn heavy stocked up. Family of four, I can shove plenty in for drinks, ice, and meals. I’m happy for the price and performance

Use a yeti hopper backpack for day trips Perfect for drinks and snacks for car rides or beach trips. The backpack is a lot easier to carry the weight for one person and free up your hands.

Kinda a good discussion. I think yeti and rtic are apples to apples. Decide on what your use will be primary. Pick soft or hard. And what size your family will need.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
From what I have seen most of the rotomolded coolers perform about the same for the first 24-72 hours unless they are in direct sun. Saw a 55qt at Costco the other day for $140.

Attachments

• 4C0CF657-7971-4D9B-A0BB-A897631CECD0.jpeg
    4C0CF657-7971-4D9B-A0BB-A897631CECD0.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 64

beau t

Established Member
I have a couple of mainline coolers they are about the same as the ones mentioned above - - I cannot say they are any better or worse than the others because its used as a beer cooler that gets opened up every 10 mins (it seems)
anyhow last weekend we flipped a SXS and it was undamaged so i can say its rugged lol.

beau t

Established Member
My only complaint is that sometimes the top is hard to open but my brother's yeti has the same problem.
Does it seem worse if its been closed for a long period of time (what i have noticed)? If so try loosening the drain plug to let it breath for a sec , it seems like the lid gets vapor locked (for lack of a better term). Then tighten it back up afterwards.

Blown 89

Established Member
Does it seem worse if its been closed for a long period of time (what i have noticed)? If so try loosening the drain plug to let it breath for a sec , it seems like the lid gets vapor locked (for lack of a better term). Then tighten it back up afterwards.
I haven't looked into it enough but I'll give that a go.

Adower

Established Member
I think that Yeti, RTIC, and ORCA are all pretty comparable. Get the one you can find cheapest.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
We don’t camp enough (see also: almost never) bit lake trips with my wife and 3 kids requires the same amount of packing as I’m sure some of you do for a weekend family trip with 6 meals included.

I don’t mind the weight. I’m strong enough and use the wife for longer carries. What I need is a smaller (see:beer and drinks on the pontoon) soft or backpack cooler to haul around.

I remember 20-25 years ago @SID297 reviewed a backpack cooler. Anyone else have recommendations for ~24 can + ice soft coolers?

My94GT

Established Member
I went through this last year looking for a cooler with wheels to tote around. Ended up with a yeti as the pelican was on back order at the time. The yeti performed great, only downside was it didn’t do very well on loose sand at the beach. Other than that I’m very happy I picked it up and the cost vs a normal cooler was worth it for all weekend ice cold drinks

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I have both an Rtic and an Orca. No complaints on either one. Precooling drinks and such before they go in the cooler goes a long way towards making ice last. Both of mine will easily last a weekend, even in direct sunlight.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have a 55 qt Lifetime cooler from Walmart I bought 2 years ago for $86. It holds ice longer than any cooler I have ever had but I generally only go 3 days. On day 4 the ice is melted but the water in it is still cool.

We don’t camp enough (see also: almost never) bit lake trips with my wife and 3 kids requires the same amount of packing as I’m sure some of you do for a weekend family trip with 6 meals included.

I don’t mind the weight. I’m strong enough and use the wife for longer carries. What I need is a smaller (see:beer and drinks on the pontoon) soft or backpack cooler to haul around.

I remember 20-25 years ago @SID297 reviewed a backpack cooler. Anyone else have recommendations for ~24 can + ice soft coolers?

I got a branded one of these from one of my companies. I think we have used it twice, it should keep stuff cold for a day.

Users who are viewing this thread