Coolant pressure too high?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Try and burp the system at the crossover with a long funnel. Use the method that Reische publishes. I recommend you take the thermostat out and drill two 1/8th" holes in it as it will make burping way easier and faster.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
This tank and the previous tank had always leaked from under the cap, sometimes a lot sometimes not. After a WOT pull with the previous tank, on the freeway, cap blew off and rained coolant. New tank, new cap, and still leaks, but only occasionally under WOT it sprays over the windshield

Sent from my SM-G998U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Were this tank and the previous tank from the same vendor? If the same vendor maybe something’s up with the neck on it.

stang910

Established Member
Just had this same issue on my turbo coyote. Turned out to be my metal aftermarket expansion tank. I put a OEM expansion tank and cap back on the car and my problems are gone.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I would recommend putting stock tank, and cap back on. Then bleeding the system properly. And go from there.

What is the temp when coolant pushes out the cap? Almost sounds like a blockage. Is thermostat installed backwards?

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
Temp stays between 176-184 unless idling, then creeps up, and drops quickly back to 176-184 when I start moving. Even when it blows coolant
I would recommend putting stock tank, and cap back on. Then bleeding the system properly. And go from there.

What is the temp when coolant pushes out the cap? Almost sounds like a blockage. Is thermostat installed backwards?

MG0h3

Established Member
How do you burp it with that crossover delete?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

04OWwhipple

Established Member
When my head gasket was starting to go, this is exactly what it did. Under WOT at full boost it would push coolant out the cap. If I did a few years back to back it would push more than just a one gear pull. I put a larger pulley on and dropped the boost and that stopped it for the most part until I swapped head gaskets out.

Do you have a larger pulley to throw on and drop the boost and see if it still blows coolant out? That would also be a clue to combustion pressure as a cause.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
I believe I do, worth a shot, thanks!
When my head gasket was starting to go, this is exactly what it did. Under WOT at full boost it would push coolant out the cap. If I did a few years back to back it would push more than just a one gear pull. I put a larger pulley on and dropped the boost and that stopped it for the most part until I swapped head gaskets out.

Do you have a larger pulley to throw on and drop the boost and see if it still blows coolant out? That would also be a clue to combustion pressure as a cause.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Roush6018

Established Member
yeah its unfortunate the cooling system is having these problems, but the car still runs. with the head gasket failing, also remember it could be a problem with the block surface or the cylinder head surface. i think a good mechanic should be able to tear the motor down in 1-2 days and then you can inspect the head gasket condition and both mating surfaces for any damage.

Users who are viewing this thread