Coolant pressure too high?

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
Thanks in advance for any help, here's what I'm dealing with....

At WOT, I get coolant spraying all over my windshield, out of a factory 16psi, cap. I've also had the issue with a Canton 16psi cap.

Car runs great, coolant temp stays around 176-184 and iat2 stays about 10 degrees over ambient when cruising.

Cooling mods are:
PNR Trunk tank w/1" lines
Cobra Engineering 1" water manifold
Custom larger engine tank
Cobra Engineering crossover delete
170 Reische T stat

Coolant is 3/4" below the top of the tank, too much coolant?

Whipple 2.9 crusher running about 22lbs boost. Stock lower, 3.0 upper.

cobracide

Established Member
Your temps/iat2s are good.

Step 1 -check coolant to water ratio, a tester is cheap. 1:1
I have a tester that tells you what the temp range is that the coolant is good for. Twenty below zero is what I read last week.
Step 2 - replace the cap and test it out.

Last edited:

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
To be clear, you're talking engine coolant and not for the intercooler, right?

Are the threads on the tank messed up since both caps are letting coolant out? Hopefully you're not getting compression in the cooling system via a head gasket.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Just for clarification, you don't have an underhood tank for the intercooler at all correct?

If the engine cooling system is suspect get a pressure tester and see if it holds.

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
Correct, engine coolant.
Threads look fine, had the same issue on my previous tank as well with a Canton cap and a Mishimoto 16psi cap
To be clear, you're talking engine coolant and not for the intercooler, right?

Are the threads on the tank messed up since both caps are letting coolant out? Hopefully you're not getting compression in the cooling system via a head gasket.

Sent from my SM-G998U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
Correct, intercooler tank is in the trunk
Just for clarification, you don't have an underhood tank for the intercooler at all correct?

If the engine cooling system is suspect get a pressure tester and see if it holds.
20220829_103332.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Correct, engine coolant.
Threads look fine, had the same issue on my previous tank as well with a Canton cap and a Mishimoto 16psi cap

if it's engine coolant than no need to talk about flow in the trunk tank for your intercooler circuit etc... you're just looking at the engine cooling circuit.

this is what I bought on amazon that works just fine

hand pump pressure tester

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Given it only happens under WOT I would still suspect the intercooler system. It could blow out the manifold and then get blown onto your windshield. Has the intercooler level dropped at all?

Beyond that I would get a pressure tester. Or even a vacuum set up. I found a leak in my son's car in about 30 seconds with the vacuum set up. But the pressure tester is nice because you don't need an air compressor.

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
No drop in intercooler system. I know it's the cap because there's coolant all over the tank and around the cap when I pop the hood
Given it only happens under WOT I would still suspect the intercooler system. It could blow out the manifold and then get blown onto your windshield. Has the intercooler level dropped at all?

Beyond that I would get a pressure tester. Or even a vacuum set up. I found a leak in my son's car in about 30 seconds with the vacuum set up. But the pressure tester is nice because you don't need an air compressor.

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
Even with no other HG symptoms? No tailpipe smoke, no oil smell in coolant, perfect temps, just changed the oil and it wasn't milky or mixed with anything, looked great actually (still had a translucent golden look after 800ish miles on that oil)
This usually indicates blown head gasket.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Even with no other HG symptoms? No tailpipe smoke, no oil smell in coolant, perfect temps, just changed the oil and it wasn't milky or mixed with anything, looked great actually (still had a translucent golden look after 800ish miles on that oil)

In most cases on a mod motor, when a head gasket blows, it just pressurizes the coolant system and blows out the cap under boost. Does not get in the oil or blow out the tailpipe. Do a block test and test for c02 in the coolant expansion tank. You can also put a plastic bag around the expansion tank and use a carbon dioxide tester with the cap off. If the detector goes off, you have your answer.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
has that tank been in the car and started doing this seemingly out of the blue? If nothing in the car has changed and it's suddenly doing this even with 2 different caps it doesn't sound like good news.

for reference when my lightning blue a head gasket the only thing I got was now an then water temp would skyrocket due to an air bubble then drop right back down. Finally noticed some water seeping between head and block. Never had any oil/coolant mixture, nothing out the tailpipes (no smoke or smell).

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
This tank and the previous tank had always leaked from under the cap, sometimes a lot sometimes not. After a WOT pull with the previous tank, on the freeway, cap blew off and rained coolant. New tank, new cap, and still leaks, but only occasionally under WOT it sprays over the windshield
has that tank been in the car and started doing this seemingly out of the blue? If nothing in the car has changed and it's suddenly doing this even with 2 different caps it doesn't sound like good news.

for reference when my lightning blue a head gasket the only thing I got was now an then water temp would skyrocket due to an air bubble then drop right back down. Finally noticed some water seeping between head and block. Never had any oil/coolant mixture, nothing out the tailpipes (no smoke or smell).

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Try and burp the system at the crossover with a long funnel. Use the method that Reische publishes. I recommend you take the thermostat out and drill two 1/8th" holes in it as it will make burping way easier and faster.

Users who are viewing this thread