coolant leaks all around!

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
So the cobra has been puffing white smoke on startup for awhile now. Only recently has it gotten worse. I think I've found the problem. Antifreeze is getting into the cylinders somehow. My coolant low warning light only reinforces my theory. So my question is, as far as repairs go, what work needs to be done and how much am I looking at cost wise? Including labor since I don't believe I have the tools or the know how to work on an engine. I realize labor cost will differ from place to place so I'm really just looking for a rough estimate. Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
From what you're describing, blown headgasket.

You will need to replace the valve-cover gasket, timing-cover gasket, head gasket, head-bolts... I think that's all. You're looking at maybe around $200-$300 in parts if you shop around. The replacement can be done with the engine in the car, but most people are probably going to want to remove it from the vehicle (it really is easier that way).

Either way, it's not going to be cheap so shop around on the labor. If you got it done for less than $1,000 in labor I would be really surprised.

Last edited:

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
From what you're describing, blown headgasket.

You will need to replace the valve-cover gasket, timing-cover gasket, head gasket, head-bolts... I think that's all. You're looking at maybe around $200-$300 in parts if you shop around. The replacement can be done with the engine in the car, but most people are probably going to want to remove it from the vehicle (it really is easier that way).

Either way, it's not going to be cheap so shop around on the labor. If you got it done for less than $1,000 in labor I would be really surprised.

Oh wow $1000 in labor alone? ...How much damage could I do if I were to try my hand at it? Is it pretty simple? Well, engine work is never simple, but simple enough?

CzchMex

Established Member
Oh wow $1000 in labor alone? ...How much damage could I do if I were to try my hand at it? Is it pretty simple? Well, engine work is never simple, but simple enough?

It's the timing chains that will bite you in the ass if you do it yourself. If the timing is screwed up it can cause major damage to the engine

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Possible effects if problem isn't remedied?

You're really considering not fixing a blown headgasket?

Well, other than my personal thoughts, you could run out of enough coolant and overheat, you could get coolant in the oil which could cause lubrication issues. Either would require more than $200-300 in parts and well over $1,000 in labor.

On the otherhand....you will end up with some pretty clean cylinders from the steaming that they are getting.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member

I was a novice 10 years ago as a 19 year old kid who replaced a set of heads on a fox car. That was somewhat doable. Looking at these engines, even with some more mechanical know how, I wouldn't attempt it without the help of someone who's worked on them before. No way in hell. Pay someone to fix your car.

CJK440

Established Member
Best bet for you is to find an enthusiast local who can help/do it for some extra cash.

If it were a pushrod motor. I'd say go buy some basic tools, a Haynes manual and have at it. But the timing chain setup on the Mod motors is tricky and the bay is cramped.

KCRN12

Established Member

If it's getting worse, I would strongly advise AGAINST continuing to drive it. The savings you'd get from a few extra weeks of driving WILL NOT outweigh the amount of money you'll wind up spending to fix it when it seizes up or warps the head.

You're looking at about 6-8 hours in labor, $125 for the head gasket, $85 for the bolt set, the valve cover, and intake gaskets can be reused, but if they've got a ton of miles I'd replace them while you're in there. So you're talkin $65 a piece for the valve covers, 20-30 for the upper intake, $100 for the upper and lower IMRC gaskets, prob 60-75 for the timing cover gasket, oil, coolant.... It's not gonna be cheap, but I WOULD NOT suggest doing it on your own, based on the way you've been talking. As others have said, the timing chains are gonna be the problem with doing it yourself. If you get those wrong, you'll go to start it and you'll hear a bunch of "dink" noises and you'll have to do it all over... After getting new valves, getting the heads machined, and possibly getting new pistons and bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread