Coolant leak HELP!!

jbro714

termin8neb
Established Member
I am new to the site and i just got my first cobra about a month ago so bear with me...Anyways i noticed about a 12 inch dia. puddle of something under my car towards the passenger side front. I finally traced it back the other night. I have a head cooling mod and at the tee where the line is spliced to cool the heads, it seems to be leaking. i taped a towel around the area and drove around with normal and hard driving to see if it was leaking while driving but no signs. It only leaks after the car has sat for 12+ hours. Can anyone tell me why that is?? Im going to take it apart this weekend and look a little closer but from what i could see it looked like the fitting/hoses/clamps were all good. Do any of you guys have this problem?? it is of course showing low in the coolant resevoir due to the leaking. It has a ported blower @ 17psi and a killer chiller along with some other supporting mods.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Welcome..take some time and read the stickys above all sections..

The info is so great..it has eveything to answer most on the spot help..

As to leak..what type of clamp is being used?

Ive had the spring style leak had to switch to worm type..and some ive doubled clamped..

Follow the burp sticky..read it a closely..

It has some footnotes

its a couple day fill to be done right..

jbro714

termin8neb
Established Member
Okay. thanks for the advice. I know there is a ton of good info on here, just a matter of figuring out where it all is! it has one worm style on each side of the tee. i have looked at the burp procedure and found a good write up about it. do you know why it would only leak after thhe car has been sitting for several hours? is this a pressure relief issue or something to that nature?

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
although i dont have a cobra, i had a coolant leak which started out as a cracked manifold and after i replaced it, the leak continued from the passenger side similar to yours and it turned out to be a cracked head. Hopefully thats not your situation but just throwing it out there as a last resort.

jbro714

termin8neb
Established Member
i dont think that is the case for me because i have already pinpointed the leak and its coming from this tee where the line is for the head cooling mod which is several inches from the actual heads/motor.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I dont have that mod..I cant see it working..

But. Whats between tee and top hose on radiator?

Is there another connection that might be leaking..metal tube?

In burp procedure footnote...level rises after shutdown from heat..iron block..mine holds pressure for days

jbro714

termin8neb
Established Member
As far as I know there isn't anything between the tee and radiator besides the hose and I'm not home to look. I'll check to see later if there is anything. I know it's leaking right at that tee because I put a towel around it and after it sat the towel was soaked. Is there anyway to relieve that pressure? It's a nuesance having it leak and it's completly random when it does it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
As far as I know there isn't anything between the tee and radiator besides the hose and I'm not home to look. I'll check to see later if there is anything. I know it's leaking right at that tee because I put a towel around it and after it sat the towel was soaked. Is there anyway to relieve that pressure? It's a nuesance having it leak and it's completly random when it does it.

Its a must to fix..system will stop working proper..the tstat will not get hot and stay closed than overheat..million of threads on overheating caused by air or leak..

I have used bahrs leak and powder style sealers...my last overheating issues was tiny leak in radiator..so I believe in the slightest leak will cause issues..

I just passed a milestone. ..350, 000 miles..most if my engine is original. ..

jbro714

termin8neb
Established Member
Okay thanks. My car is running at 180ish deg f. I only have 28,000 miles on it. I'm going to pressure test this weekend. Do you know what the normal pressure is for these cars? I read 7psi but don't know if that sounds right.

Users who are viewing this thread