Coolant Flow Diagram

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Does anybody have a coolant flow diagram they could post up? I'm trying to fully understand how the coolant flows through the 10 hoses on my car, lol.
Thanks.

the anti-rice

Established Member
If yours is the same kind of idea as the 96-98 its fairly simple from my understanding. The upper most hose going to the radiator isnt used unit the thermostat opens. The other hose coming off the crossover goes to the thermostat housing and bypasses the thermo to the lower hose coming off the block to complete the cycle. Once the car is at operating temp (thermo open) the flow goes through the upper hose to the radiator, out the rad. lower hose to the thermo housing and back into the block. Again, to complete the cycle.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Well, I understand that much of it. There are two heater hoses also-one which goes under the intake to near the water pump, and one to the back of pne of the heads. There is also the hose going from the expansion tank to the t-stat housing and I assume this is just stagnant for the most part and just for expansion purposes. I don't quite understand the little hose going from the expansion tank to the top of the radiator either.

I understand the cycle when the engine is cold as the coolant will just bypass the radiator. Which direction does the coolant flow through the heater core and does it flow through at all times? Also, when the thermostat opens, what prevents coolant flowing from the CC tube through the bypass hose thus bypassing the radiator?

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
The plunger on the thermostat blocks the bypass.

When the stat opens, IIRC....the bypass from the crossover tube, is blocked.....only allowing the coolant from the radiator to enter the engine.

I like my setup. I got rid of all that cluster down on the lower hose....and run the t-stat in the upper hose. I was able to block off the bypass side on the crossover tube.

the anti-rice

Established Member
So the coolant continually flows through the radiator then I would assume? I sent you a txt last week or so but never heard back from ya. Was just wondering what wideband you ended up using.

CJK440

Established Member
Yes, out the back of the head and returns under the intake.

The little hose purges air from the rad.

Keep in mind the start in the lower hose means it regulates temp of water going into the motor, unlike a top hose start that regulates temp going into the rad.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Correct. I drilled small holes in the stat....so it is not "fully" flowing through, but is slightly to prevent pressure build up.

The other cool thing is, I guess I do not have to burp the system....I just filled it up and went about my way!

I am much happier with this newer style that I switched to. It seems as if the temp stays much more consistent at the crossover, and never goes above 185.

When I ran the stock coolant system, I would see 210+ temps at the crossover on dyno pulls.

Text me again, I am not seeing your text in my phone broseph.

Last edited:

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
56697d1229800556-direction-coolant-flow-cooling-system.jpg

56698d1229800556-direction-coolant-flow-cooling-system2.jpg

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Thank you sir! I'm sure this will come in handy within the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread