Coolant Flange to Lower Intake Gasket and Intake Torque values

vdubn

Established Member
I've been searching and not able to find anything difinitive, but it looks like from the factory, there was never a gasket that went between the Intercooler coolant flange and the lower intake, is that correct? I believe that the O-rings in the tubes are what prevents coolant from leaking, not a gasket at the flange, but I am hoping to find out for sure.

I am fairly certain of this because I can't find anyone that sells the gasket. I think it may be a Kenne Bell thing, and I think it came with the kit thats on the car I'm working on.

Also, I know the lower intake bolts are sensitive to torque, so wondered if anyone could point me to the torque values for the lower intake manifold, and the SC to lower intake bolts?

Here are some pics for reference, on the coolant flange, and you can see the gasket that was between the lower intake and the flange in the first pic:

coolantflange1.jpg

coolantflange2.jpg

hotcobra03

Established Member
Use our site vendor

Autonation

Web site has pics and part numbers

Our service manual has torque specs if you need

Most of those bolts are tiny so it’s about just past

vdubn

Established Member
Thanks much for the info. I'll look and see if there is a manual section.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I just double checked and mine doesn't have that gasket. I do know the engine was replaced at some point though.

Edit: I pulled my lower intake and saw the gasket. It blended in before. I ordered a replacement anyway to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

vdubn

Established Member
The service manual has been downloadable for many years - easy to find with a search...
SVT Documents

There is a whole section on the supercharger and components as well: Engine

I finally found it, after wading through multiple dead links. Thanks for posting it too.

As for the gasket, It seems to be optional, as I have seen a bunch of folks that run it, and a bunch that say their car doesn't have it. I wonder if its a secondary seal in the event that the o-rings leak?

Four Door SVT

Established Member
That gasket is for vacuum and boost seal, there is a gasket for it but you can use “three bond” brand it’s made for metal to metal surfaces like motorcycle engine cases and you can use it with gaskets. Use it sparingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soap

Established Member
As for the gasket, It seems to be optional, as I have seen a bunch of folks that run it, and a bunch that say their car doesn't have it. I wonder if its a secondary seal in the event that the o-rings leak?

It is 100% not optional, if you don't use it you will have a leak. It seals the air into the lower intake. You are not thinking about it correctly. The orings on the tubes seal the intercooler system (coolant). The gasket I just posted seals the air into the lower intake.

--Joe

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
^^^^^ exactly what Joe said. You have to have a gasket!
It’s no different than needing a gasket between the intake and heads. It keeps the intake sealed for vacuum/boost pressure.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread