coolant filling up spark plug holesin a 99 4.6?

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
What would cause antifreeze to fill up the spark plug holes 2 back cylinders on the drivers side? my mustang did this (it had new manifold gaskets and proper tq) before the motor came out and I am seeing it on an explorer with same intake 4.6. anyone else have this problem?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I haven't had the problem yet but Intake manifold gasket/ head gasket/cracked cylinder head, or a leaking heater core hose are the possibilities.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
is that the plastic intake that would crack and leak? There was a TSB about that you might try searching for. I was thinking that was at the front of the motor but Im not completely up to snuff on 2valves

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
is that the plastic intake that would crack and leak? There was a TSB about that you might try searching for. I was thinking that was at the front of the motor but Im not completely up to snuff on 2valves

This is also a possibility. The earlier 99-04 2v came with a plastic intake manifold that are now known to crack with age.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I replaced the original intake after it cracked with a new that had the aluminum cross over, it didn't leak for a year, then started filling the rear 2. the head gaskets are good, my old motor is in my buddy's f150 now and no leaks, seeing the same problem on an explorer, I helped change out gaskets, still filling up the plug holes. no cracks on the intake manifold that were noticeable. I didn't want to pull the manifold off again if it could be something else. I am running out of talent with this

Users who are viewing this thread