Coolant disappearing

shaun staab

Established Member
I’ve had to top off my coolant almost every time I drive my car. It is not leaking externally. I do not see any coolant on the dipstick nor do I see any oil in the coolant. I have done the chemical test on the block and dye stayed blue. Only thing I can think is if it is being slowly being burned in the cylinder, but if this was the case I should have noted a change in the chemical. I also don’t smell antifreeze out the exhaust. Exhaust is white but it’s also cold right now. Next step is gonna be leak down. Does anyone have any thoughts? Motor has maybe 800 miles on it.

Twisted2v

Established Member
I have an Ecoboost mustang and the coolant leaked out from a water pump issue. Dealer replaced it.

I also have a coolant condensation leak from the pass side cowl since the WP was fixed. This has not affected the coolant levels so far.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmm. Hard to say. Gut tells me its burning coolant.. lifted a head maybe? How much boost and who is tuning the car? Have you sent them a log to take a look?

Post this on M6g... .some pretty knowledgeable s550 guys over there.

shaun staab

Established Member
I too think it’s burning coolant but why would I not see it using the block tester and I also do not smell it out exhaust. Engine has head studs and max boost has been 21psi. Lund tunes the car.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Holy Shit 21psi!?!? lol. Who built the motor and how fast has this car gone? Thats A LOT of boost, especially on a 18+ motor with higher compression.

Really hard to say on why the block test doesnt show.

Have you sent Jon a log and if so, what is he saying?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Oh the coolant is going past the rings out the tail pipe

shaun staab

Established Member
It’s not stock compression and mpr built motor. Haven’t ran it on 21 at the track yet just dyno. I haven’t mentioned anything to him. Not sure what he could see on a log?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s not stock compression and mpr built motor. Haven’t ran it on 21 at the track yet just dyno. I haven’t mentioned anything to him. Not sure what he could see on a log?

Burning enough coolant where you need to add every time you drive the car should throw off the fuel mixture reading on the front o2 sensors.

I'd make a log with a few WOT hits and take a look. Not sure how familiar you are, but it should be easy to see on the STFT tables. If this is happening, some of the other PIDs would be effected also (spark timing, load, MAF lb/min, etc etc).

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Burning enough coolant where you need to add every time you drive the car should throw off the fuel mixture reading on the front o2 sensors.

I'd make a log with a few WOT hits and take a look. Not sure how familiar you are, but it should be easy to see on the STFT tables. If this is happening, some of the other PIDs would be effected also (spark timing, load, MAF lb/min, etc etc).
Depends. If the engine is hot enough it could be burning it enough not to throw the 02 off. But agreed data logging could show something off. I would still recommend compression check.

shaun staab

Established Member
Last thing I can think of doing is leak down. I’m gonna leak a little out the catch can filter obviously but I can just check for bubbles at the res.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
If it's red coolant it's known to evaporate at a fast pace.. We have to top off vehicle with red coolant every oil change in the shop.. Your doing it every trip...

Users who are viewing this thread