Coolant Change...Advice, Tips, or Tricks?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Looking to do a coolant change. Not sure what's involved? 2010 model year here.

Do you have any advice, in regards, to what needs to be removed to service this correctly? I also have a C&R Heat Exchanger that also needs a service. I already am willing to jack the car up. I also think parts of the front spoiler/bumper will be needed to taken apart?

Do I need to actually take the front bumper off for servicing both the radiator and heat exchanger systems? Thanks in advance!!

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Procedure to drain coolant from radiator and heat exchanger.

1. With the vehicle jacked up and the rear wheels properly chocked!!!

2. Remove the 9 bolts and the lower splash shield.
imagen2.dll

NOTE: RH shown, LH similar.
3. Remove the 2 RH and the 2 LH screws.
imagen2.dll

4. Remove the 12 bolts and the front bumper cover lower valance.
imagen2.dll

5. Place a suitable container below the radiator draincock. Open the draincock and drain the engine coolant from the radiator. Next disconnect lower heat exchanger hose from the radiator and allow the coolant to drain in a suitable container.

Filling and Bleeding RADIATOR:

1. Fill the radiator through the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the COOLANT FILL LEVEL marks.
    • Recommended coolant concentration is 50/50 ethylene glycol to distilled water.
      • Maximum coolant concentration is 60/40 for cold weather areas.
      • Minimum coolant concentration is 40/60 for warm weather areas.
  2. Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at A/C vents in instrument panel.
  3. Start the engine and allow to idle. While engine is idling, feel for hot air at A/C vents.
  4. NOTICE: If the air discharge remains cool and the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow the engine to cool and fill cooling system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the engine.
    Start the engine and allow it to idle until normal operating temperature is reached. Hot air should discharge from A/C vents. The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the NORMAL range. The upper radiator hose should feel hot to the touch.
  5. Shut the engine off and allow the engine to cool.
  6. Check the engine for coolant leaks.
  7. Check the engine coolant level in the degas bottle and fill as necessary.

Filling and Bleeding heat exchanger:

1. To maintain the integrity of the coolant and the cooling system:
    1. Add Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant
  2. Fill the degas bottle.
  3. Start the engine and allow to run until coolant circulation is observed in the degas bottle. Absence of circulation indicates air is trapped in the system.
    • Turn the engine off.
  4. Add coolant as needed.
  5. Repeat the above procedure to make sure all entrapped air is released.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Thanks Vin ! Any chance you could repost those pictures somehow? Much appreciated as always!

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Vin ! Any chance you could repost those pictures somehow? Much appreciated as always!
Try right clicking on the pic. Save to your computer and resize it to your liking and print. If that dont work for you, let me know and I'll see about reposting larger pic.

Imatk

Established Member
Just FYI I could never get the system to "burp" the only way I could do it was pull the lower hose and wait for some coolant to come out.

In case you have issues.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Try right clicking on the pic. Save to your computer and resize it to your liking and print. If that dont work for you, let me know and I'll see about reposting larger pic.
Went to my desktop, and I was able to view and save the pics. Thanks again! Will try this in the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread