Cool State Trooper...

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
About 1 month ago I was heading up I-74 in Bettendorf and I passed a state trooper who was parked on the road. What do ya know he saw, and heard, the car and proceeded to follow me. After about 1 mile he pulled me over. He comes up to the car and asks to see license and registration. Well my license was in the back of the car so i told him it was in the trunk. His reply "don't bother getting it". That shocked me! He proceeds to tell me that he pulled me over because black out lights are illegal even during the day in iowa. I figure that's odd since i have never been pulled over before. so he then askes me if they are the kind you just pop off, yep they are. So he follows me to the front of the car and opens the hood and takes them off. Well at this point i am sweating because I kind of don't have a front license plate so i figure he's going to rape my @ss on that. Well he starts pokin around the engine and starts talkin about his 88 5.0 GT. After about 10 minutes of shootin the sh!t he starts to talk about the violation. He never notices the lack of a plate and then proceeds to tell me since i am a fellow stang guy that he will let me off without even a written warning! Sweet, that had to be the coolest state trooper i have ever met.:D

Dragnut

Established Member
:D I must have a really cool buddy then. He was clocked going 92 in a 20 mph zone and got a warning cause it was at night. The next week he was clocked at 115 in a 50 mph and got another warning. If I went 55.00001 in a 55 I would get nailed:confused:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Tell me about it....SOOO many people don't realise that they talk themselves into a ticket!!!

DCMustang00

Established Member
Originally posted by hillie16
Tell me about it....SOOO many people don't realise that they talk themselves into a ticket!!!

Please fill me in on how to talk to a cop so they won't give me a ticket. I do my best to be polite but I always get the ticket.

aj0538

Established Member
Originally posted by DCMustang00

Please fill me in on how to talk to a cop so they won't give me a ticket. I do my best to be polite but I always get the ticket.

To be fair--If you get pulled over by a traffic unit you probably will get a ticket no matter what. Thats all they do so all though there is no quota their performance is judged in a large part by numbers of citations.

If you get pulled over by a beat cop your more likely to get off. I would recommend the following--
1- Pull over as quickly as possible. If it takes you several seconds to pull over I'm going to start thinking that you may be hiding something under your seat or looking for a place to run. Of course pul over safely w/o cutting other vehicles off.

2- Pull over as far as you can or onto a close sidestreet if your in a residential area. - This keeps me out of traffic passing by.

3- Have your license and insurance (or registration depending on what your asked for) readilly available. I hate standing next to a car while the driver spends 5 minutes looking for the paperwork. The side of the car is not a safe place for me to be.

4- Don't argue about the violation. Especially if you know you did it. This is a no win situation. I don't know about the other officers on this site but I have never been argued out of writing a ticket but I have been argued into writing many.

5- Don't assume that we have not heard every excuse ever told. We have. We talk about and laugh about them amongst ourselves. I had a guy doing 85 in a 60 tell me that the 100 LB female in the seat next to him was pregnant and about to deliver the baby. She was wearing a cutoff shirt w/a bellybutton ring. There was definitely no baby inside. GOT A TICKET.

6- Have a good attitude to the officer. Roll your window down all the way, don't start off with "what did I do now??" don't use foul language. Don't drop names of the officer/captain/chief that you know or are related to. dont accuse me of being racist "you only pulled me over because I'm (insert held down race/sex/affiliation here)". BE NICE.

7- realize that you may get a ticket no matter what you do. Sign it and leave. Go to court if you feel it was not a valid charge or otherwise pay it.

I'm sure there is more advice that could be given but those are my pet peeves. Attitude is everything in my book. Good luck.

Ginsu

Established Member
AJ covered alot of it.

4- Don't argue about the violation. Especially if you know you did it. This is a no win situation. I don't know about the other officers on this site but I have never been argued out of writing a ticket but I have been argued into writing many

This is a huge pet peeve of mine! People think that I have all day to hold court on the side of the road. :bored: They just can not comprehend the concept that I am not part of the judicial system. I see a violation, make the charge and issue it. If they do not believe it was valid then argue it in front of the judge on the specified court date.

If I pull someone over with several violations, I will write a ticket for one and give verbal warnings on the rest. Now when I go up to the car and the person acts an ass, I just simply go back, scratch out the warnings and come back with a few more tickets :eek:

DCMustang00

Established Member
Now if I could only find a cop that doesn't know me or the car, I'll try these things out. Don't get me wrong, I am very polite to the cops, even when they lied about sitting at a corner and watched me and my friend race. Thing is, he came from the other side of the street he said he was on? :confused:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by aj0538

4- Don't argue about the violation. Especially if you know you did it. This is a no win situation. I don't know about the other officers on this site but I have never been argued out of writing a ticket but I have been argued into writing many.

5- Don't assume that we have not heard every excuse ever told. We have. We talk about and laugh about them amongst ourselves. I had a guy doing 85 in a 60 tell me that the 100 LB female in the seat next to him was pregnant and about to deliver the baby. She was wearing a cutoff shirt w/a bellybutton ring. There was definitely no baby inside. GOT A TICKET.

6- Have a good attitude to the officer. Roll your window down all the way, don't start off with "what did I do now??" don't use foul language. Don't drop names of the officer/captain/chief that you know or are related to. dont accuse me of being racist "you only pulled me over because I'm (insert held down race/sex/affiliation here)". BE NICE.

7. Attitude is everything in my book. Good luck.

EXACTLY!!!! Don't be :cryying: or :fm:

slim shady

Established Member
When i get pulled over of course 9 times out of 10 i'm in the wrong but not bad enough to get a ticket, i'll just let the cop do his talk and its always yes sir and no sir then when i open my wallet my courtesy badge is there and my union card from the PBA president is there, usually i get pulled over for seat belt or driving with my fogs on, speeding but not like a moron oh and my favorite no front license plate, now that would be one anal cop to give out a license plate ticket when my uncle is retired and i know the PBA president, i'm always nice to a cop:rev:

Users who are viewing this thread