Convertible Top

SVTyballz

Established Member
My top hasn't been up for 3 days. Is there any reason to put it up? Is it bad for the top if it's folded up all the time? The only reason I ask is that this is the first cloth ragtop i have owned. Thanks

gary

KingKobra

Established Member
Not really sure... the tops are a better quality (from the Jags)

Other than folds, dirt, and such, I would prolly not keep it down for more than a few days...

I had a soft top miata, which I rarely kept down for more than a trip and it lasted me a long time.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
I know with the old tops if you left them down for exteded periods you had to kinda strech them back down. With the new ones I do not think that this will be a problem. My concern with the top is what to wash, and condition it with. I stoped by the local Jag dealership, but all the people there were brain dead. The owners manuals for the new Jags did not talk about top car in them?????

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
C'mon, put it back up so it can collect lint like mine does.:gt:

silvercoffin

Established Member

Well its different material than my 01gt vert was but with that the roof just looked real wrinkled when you put it up after leaving it down for a long time.

I would think its best to leave it up when your not using it

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Thought I saw a putty cat!

How do you get 00 shot out of a canvas top? (good thing the windows were down...)

actually before you call PETA on my I actually have a huge dog that keeps the cats off my cars...

:nono:

CobraCurtis

Established Member
I've had convertibles since 1974. The top on my 66 has been on since 92. what I have learned is this.

Always use your boot cover or the sun will bleach out the canvas underside and or headliner in the front and will be noticable with top up.

My tops are vinyl,but if there is a treatment for the new style use it regularly.

I don't leave my tops down for extended periods because it will shrink a little and the edges at the folds will start to crack out. I have seen some cloth tops do this too.

A garage or carport will help tops last a lot longer too. So park your car inside as much as possible.

I know when my top on the 96 cobra goes I'm going to look into a 03 canvas top to replace it with. Do they come in saddle or tan?

oldcobra

Established Member
Be careful with the boot. I usually never use one but about 5 years ago started putting it on for an unimportant reason and it was on right. Got on the highway, got on it and the boot took off around 90. Looked like a huge black bat in the rear view mirror until it landed and got nailed by a semi. Never took my foot off the gas and was happy it did not do a face plant on someone’s windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread