Convertible Owners -- check for loose staples

03cobra#116

Established Member
I notice some lumps on the rear-most bar of my convertible top.

I lifted the top to the full upright position (pointing up into the air), removing the tension on the fabric sufficiently to look under the flap over the rear window.

The staples holding the fabric to the bar were coming out.

I will take it in to the dealer to get it fixed next week.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
It happened to mine a long, long time ago. Took it to a car upholstery shop to have it fixed.

1BLWN 03

Established Member
wow had'nt heard of that one...gotta check. We had trouble with the right side sticking when raising the top and the weather stripping along the windshield, but the dealer fixed that. thanks for the post

hmwave

Established Member
Its a common problem.
I hate the way Ford stapled the soft top and the rear of the rear seat - cheap and nasty.

It's easy to test for this. Close the roof and run your fingers over the top where the bars are. If you feel bumps those are very likely staples that are punching their way through the material.

Last edited:

twomustangs

Established Member
My top was sticking on the right side at first but now the whole top is slowlyyyyyyyyy going up. I'm getting two motors next week, warranty work of course.

03cobra#116

Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave
Its a common problem.
I hate the way Ford stapled the soft top and the rear of the rear seat - cheap and nasty.

It's easy to test for this. Close the roof and run your fingers over the top where the bars are. If you feel bumps those are very likely staples that are punching their way through the material.

That is how I noticed it. I saw bumps along the bar.

AviStetto

Established Member
I've had my car in for warranty work about a half dozen times for issues with the top in the past year.

First, the right side wouldn't come up. It would stick and you have to pull it to get it going. (Replaced actuator)
Then, it would go up, but not evenly. (Adjusted)
Then, something broke on a brace on the right side. (Replace broken parts)
Then, the right side wouldn't come up again. (More adjustments)
Then, I noticed that the weather stripping was torn where the front and rear windows meet. (Replaced, and adjusted)
Next time, I will be back in for the weather stripping again. Whenever I roll up my right side windows, it bunches up. It's going to tear again soon.

Overall, the top has been the biggest problem I've had with my car. I drove a 95 GT for 8 years and never had a single problem with the top.

a94cobra

Established Member
Mine was that way at about 3k miles. Dealer took to an apolstry shop to be repaired. Hasn't givin me a problem since.

Last edited:
I have a weather stripping problem where the top meets the paint strip before the windshield, it is bowing a little. I will get it fixed sooner or later, it doesn't leak!

Other than that, nothing!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread