Convert GT500 to Automatic

RLB01

Established Member
Does anyone know of a shop on the west coast that installs autos in GT500 ?

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Not on the west coast but of you need information on the swap you can call Power By The Hour in south Fl. They can tell you what components you will need. It is pricy!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Nah. You need a US Shift Quick 6 controller, 6R80, torque converter, drive shaft, auto shifter and flexplate. Id just take out the clutch master and use the existing pedal box.

Lastly, you need a speed shop that can follow directions as there is a little electrical involved.

Many guys starting to go this route as its just easier. Can you convert using Coyote auto ecu, hanesses etc? Absolutely, but its so damn involved and complicated from the install to the custom ecu programming, to the REprogramming of your ABS and PATS and MANY labor hours.

From research Ive done, the Quick 6 controller and 6r80 parts are all you need and the setup leaves the GT500 alone. As is, the car doesnt have a clue whats behind the engine. And all the Quick 6 controller needs is engine RPM and Throttle position to do its job. The Quick 6 can provide teh car with the correct output shaft speed signal to make the engine and ABS happy.

If youre near San Diego, try JBA Speedshop. Give US Shift a call and they will take the time to answer all your questions. great customer service. Im saving up for all my stuff at the moment, but Im going auto as well with the Quick 6.

sleek98

Established Member
Labor is what makes it so expensive.

Hard parts alone i am in it a couple grand after selling off my stock stuff to a 5.0 guy and searching for deals. I did all the labor myself or it would have easily been another 3-5k in labor.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Other than drag racing or a knee injury, I don't see the attraction, BUT as a drag racer, this car would be awesome with the 6R!
-J

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Keeping the manual shifter handle and knob would be a slick and stealthy way of doing this swap. Nobody would even look at the pedals being that it is a GT500.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice idea Ron. My buddy Scott Hasty has a nasty TVS/6R he built in my garage going 8.70s at high 150s so its REALLY hard not to swap.
-J

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
6R80 is probably your best bet if it’s not going to be a track only car. Call Power By The Hour, they are the ones to steer you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

48yrs

Established Member
Does anyone know of a shop on the west coast that installs autos in GT500 ?

What year is your GT500?

It appears from some of the information that I've read on this forum regarding the 6R80 Auto conversion of the GT500.....that it depends on the specific year.
I personally Do NOT have the technical or professional background or knowledge to be the expert on this topic But in my opinion, it appears that the
2007-2009 GT500's are easier to do this conversion.
Not sure about the 2010
2011-2012 GT500's are also slightly specific in their conversion and
2013-2014 GT500's are more complex or complicated in the complete 6R80 conversion.
I own a 2014 thus I paid more attention to the specifics regarding the 2013-2014 models.
I don't believe the Quick 6 controller will be totally compatible/ or the easier route to take with the 2013-2014 GT500's.
I hope someone adds their knowledge to this conversation.
Thank you

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Quick 6 is 100% compatible. Several guys running it currently, 1 in particular on FB that I know of. Engine/ABS needs speed signal output from trans. I confirmed with US Shift that the Quick 6 can output the correct signal to the engine/abs. Auto shifter needs to be wired into the clutch starter circuit for Park/neutral start. Will require a 2011-2014 Auto shifter. Quick 6 needs engine rpm and tps position signal. Anyone thats wired up a WOT box already has those tapped.

If you have a trans cooler for your 13-14, youll need to figure out a way to satisfy that circuit, but there is nothing prohibiting the 13-14 from running the Quick 6. As stated, the Engine ECU has no idea whats going on behind the flywheel except for the trans speed output signal. All engine functions are handled unmolested of the controller.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you have a trans cooler for your 13-14, youll need to figure out a way to satisfy that circuit, but there is nothing prohibiting the 13-14 from running the Quick 6. As stated, the Engine ECU has no idea whats going on behind the flywheel except for the trans speed output signal. All engine functions are handled unmolested of the controller.

I couldn't find any additional sensors for the transmission on the 2013-14. It appears that Ford added the trans cooler to the Track Pack cars, but didn't add any additional sensors.

It looks like the only electrical connections to the transmission are:
Reverse lockout solenoid electrical connector.
OSS sensor electrical connector.
Reverse lamp switch electrical connector.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I almost thought i head there was a pump speed sensor, but clearly i heard wrong!

Reverse lockout could have a resistor installed thats the same ohm of the solenoid. Speed output from controller to factory harness, reverse light circuit to the auto shifter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Snoopy49

Established Member
I thought they may have installed a temp sensor like they did for the diff. But I couldn't find mention of one.

Rubyredsvt

Established Member
I just finished the 6r80 conversion on my 2014 shelby gt 500. It is a straight bolt in. There are a few wires (7) that you need to configure into the coyote processor to keep select shift. Shift up, shift down, shift common to the pcm, power, ground, and brake shift interlock inside the counseled.1 wire for the oil light because the coyote automatic transmission harness doesn't have that in the harness. You need an automatic trans drive shaft, a transmission cooler( I used the trans cooler from the tr6060 it hooked to the automatic trans lines) I would recommend contacting Frank at Power By The Hour for any tech, return fuel system, and marring the pcm to the abs module. You will need to have a dealership configure the pats key to the vehicle. And use only Jon Lund for the tune. Pm for any other help. Art

Users who are viewing this thread