Contaminated coolant?

paluka21

Established Member
The other day I noticed what appears to be debree inside of my coolant overflow tank. From the outside above the coolant line, it appears to be a darker shade, and when inspecting inside there are little brownish colored specs stuck to the side of the plastic. In addition, there is a little debree floating on top of the coolant.
The only modifications to my car are 3.73 gears and axle back exhaust. Motor is 100% stock minus an oil catch can and valve cover breather with check ball from CFM.
Anyone else have this?

Hj2I7N.jpg

al2ibX.jpg

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member
My coolant looks the same in as your pictures in my GT500. My co-workers F150 looks like that also.
Interesting. So perhaps the debris is from gasket material in the motor when it was built? Given the coolant system is closed, I was a little surprised to find brown specks floating on top.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Have you ever added anything to the cooling system? If you get the debris on your fingers is it chalky or gritty?

paluka21

Established Member
Have you ever added anything to the cooling system? If you get the debris on your fingers is it chalky or gritty?

Never added anything to the coolant. I'll have to check again to see if they are chalky or gritty. I do know they smear when I wiped them on cardboard.

I just think it's strange to have anything in a closed coolant system unless it's gasket/sealant material from the build.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looks a bit like silicate precipitation. I didn't think Ford's Orange coolant was very susceptible to that though.

paluka21

Established Member
Looks a bit like silicate precipitation. I didn't think Ford's Orange coolant was very susceptible to that though.

Doesn't Ford use silicates in their antifreeze to help bond to the aluminum in the block/heads and offer corrosion control?

jjandascog1

Established Member
Checked my friends 13' GT500 with 63K on the clock, looks the same. Mine has 45K FWIW and like previously stated looks just like yours.

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
I have Moroso Aluminum tanks and mine looks crystal clear. I wonder if it has anything to do with the plastic reservoir.

Users who are viewing this thread