Construction people in here please

Adower

Established Member
My wife and I hired a contractor for a kitchen remodel in November 2022. The contractor is a friend of a friend and everything has been going fine. Literally, the best contractor I've ever dealt with. He owned his own company and has a crew of guys. A larger company essentially "bought" his company and he moved to working as his own little unit under the larger company. The contractors team only worked on remodels. The larger company deals with property management/maintaining rental homes.

Approximately two weeks ago the guys are on the job at my residence and they said they got a call and they have to leave. About an hour later the contractor we hired told me that the larger company let go ~20 or so construction teams like his.

We wait ~1 week to hear back from the larger company to determine WTF is going on. That one week goes by and nothing. I called the contractor we hired and basically told him that we still want you to finish the job since he was doing a stellar job. So he says that he will contact the larger company to see if he can somehow have the project transferred to him as all his licenses are still valid and current. Another week goes by and the contractor we hired is giving us updates and no one from the larger company has even called as of yet.

We finally get a hold of someone at the larger company and they tell us that they are phasing out of the remodel portion of the business. We ask them what is going to happen to our project and they tell us that they didn't have a contingency plan and we can transfer the project to the contractor that was working it or end the contract with them and find another contractor.

The contractor we were using basically has said the guys he had on his team had to all find other jobs and he would need to see what he could do. After hearing this we started to call around to other companies to see if anyone would finish the job. Out of the four contractors I talked to, three of them were 5+ months out and one didn't want to take on someone else work.

At this point we have no kitchen, we've been basically eating out this whole time/microwave. There is no damn way we are going to go another 5 months without a kitchen.

My wife and I were going to ask for a full refund of what we have paid so far (~30K) and ask they pay for our lodging as we cannot live in this house without a kitchen for another five + months due to their incompetence.

Has anyone ever been in this situation before? What would you do? Yes, I've called two lawyers today and am waiting to hear back from them. We do have a contract and I assume this would be a breach of contract.

MG0h3

Established Member
Keep working with the guy that was doing a good job. May have to be a little patient but give him a chance.

Sue the big company. **** them as hard as you can. Make sure you go contingency with a lawyer but if it’s not a pretty big construction company, you may have to pay out of pocket. Been there done that. The lawyer you’re paying will be fighting a lawyer being paid by a liability insurance company. They’ll bleed you dry and will know it the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Adower

Established Member
Keep working with the guy that was doing a good job. May have to be a little patient but give him a chance.

Sue the big company. **** them as hard as you can. Make sure you go contingency with a lawyer but if it’s not a pretty big construction company, you may have to pay out of pocket. Been there done that. The lawyer you’re paying will be fighting a lawyer being paid by a liability insurance company. They’ll bleed you dry and will know it the whole time.

The thing is we can’t work
With the contractor unless we release liability of the larger company. At least that’s what I understand. One of the things we will be asking an attorney.

tistan

Established Member
You need an attorney. Do not end the contract with them. You need to read your contract and see if there are any kind of clauses allowing them to terminate your job.

You are going to have a hard time finding a contractor that will take on someone else's work. As a general rule, I never take over a project for the simple reason that I can never know the real reason why the client and other general contractor parted ways. Even if you do find someone to take on the project, the price is going to be substantially higher. Especially if you have to pay the get it done ASAP price. That shouldn't be on you.

I'd find out who their general liability insurance is, and file a claim. I'd also contact your local building department and see what they can do. Sometimes they can pull a business license for pulling shit like this.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Different states have different laws. Don't sign nothing till you speak with an attorney. Contact your State licensing board, they have the authority to impose immediate action. Go after the license holder and the representative that signed your contract. Our state has a fund to compensate for this type of situation, but that takes months.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
You need an attorney. Do not end the contract with them. You need to read your contract and see if there are any kind of clauses allowing them to terminate your job.

You are going to have a hard time finding a contractor that will take on someone else's work. As a general rule, I never take over a project for the simple reason that I can never know the real reason why the client and other general contractor parted ways. Even if you do find someone to take on the project, the price is going to be substantially higher. Especially if you have to pay the get it done ASAP price. That shouldn't be on you.

I'd find out who their general liability insurance is, and file a claim. I'd also contact your local building department and see what they can do. Sometimes they can pull a business license for pulling shit like this.

This.
If they got bought out,the new owners should be obligated to honor your contract. An attorney is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member

Sue the big company. **** them as hard as you can. Make sure you go contingency with a lawyer………The lawyer you’re paying will be fighting a lawyer being paid by a liability insurance company.

Get a lawyer. Finding a lawyer to take litigation on a fixed fee will be tough since there are multiple unknown variables that will impact the number of hours the attorney will need to resolve the matter. Big company’s liability insurance company will not provide them an attorney because there is no coverage for walking off the job, not complicating the work, contract disputes, etc. Though if they are big enough they may have a lawyer on retainer or in-house.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
This is why I hate ****ing contractors. Most of them are brain dead assholes.

I wouldn’t give up without making a huge stink of this.

Adower

Established Member

There is no clause in the contract for allowing the termination of the job. In the end we are hoping that they fully refund what we have paid and we can part way. Then I can the contractor who was working the job continue from there.

Three of the contractors I called are 5+ months out. So, even if I could find someone I dont see how we should live in a house with no kitchen during that time frame, due to someone else's negligence.

Last edited:

Adower

Established Member
This.
If they got bought out,the new owners should be obligated to honor your contract. An attorney is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
The contractor I was working with was bought out a while ago. Not during the job. However, yes we feel that the larger company is still obligated to honor the contract. However, they told us they've phased out of the remodel side and dont even have a crew they could send here. In reality, I wouldn't want to let just anyone in the house anyways.

MG0h3

Established Member
You might tell them tough shit about phasing out and that they can continue with that contractor and his crew of choice to finish the job.

Would probably be the best outcome for both you and them.

Adower

Established Member
Get a lawyer. Finding a lawyer to take litigation on a fixed fee will be tough since there are multiple unknown variables that will impact the number of hours the attorney will need to resolve the matter. Big company’s liability insurance company will not provide them an attorney because there is no coverage for walking off the job, not complicating the work, contract disputes, etc. Though if they are big enough they may have a lawyer on retainer or in-house.
From what it sounds like they do have a legal team. When I spoke with the representative from the company and he mentioned either terminating the contract or transferring the project over to the contractor he mentioned something about a legal team.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Ask for your money back asap, if you haven't already. If you get it (doubt it) move on. Sucks but you are out nothing. If they don't go down the legal path. They have a contract that they have to uphold. Technically (don't know your laws and the contract) they should be on the hook for any overages as a result of finding someone else. You should also let whatever authority has permitting jurisdiction know what is going on.

Finally, you are probably in for shitty times getting this resolved. I know not everyone has the time, but I would find out who the company owner is or the highest officer in the company. If you can find where they live, I would start showing up on their front door at 6:00 am in the morning with your food. Tell them you are there to cook your breakfast.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
How did you pay said contractor? Can you reverse charges?

Adower

Established Member
You might tell them tough shit about phasing out and that they can continue with that contractor and his crew of choice to finish the job.

Would probably be the best outcome for both you and them.

How did you pay said contractor? Can you reverse charges?
So far we've only paid 1/4 of the total bill. However, it was paid by check a while ago and has already processed.

tistan

Established Member
What are the chances you are capable of managing this yourself? You might also check with an interior designer and see if one would take on your job. My wife consults on projects outside our company. At least you would have someone who can do some quality control if you can schedule subs. A designer will also have subs they work with.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This sounds eerily familiar. As I've mentioned before, if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Our project was for a master bath remodel. A fairly extensive remodel with layout changes (a two person shower where a large tub was previously installed) and leak remediation (new drywall and subfloor in areas). Total project cost was about $40k.

We went and had a number of contractors bid on the project. Ultimately we decided on Lowes. Their overall price was in the middle and they simplified a lot of the material purchase/selection/liability B.S. As others have said, contractors can be "extra" to deal with. Our experience was no different. We'd have to endure the inevitable lectures about how busy they are, how good they are, and we are lucky we are talking with them. lol.

Fast forward. I did most of the demo (drywall removal and subfloor removal) and I did all the electrical work (I was a journey industrial electrician back in my yutes). Contractor came and started plumbing and install. Everything was going fine. Then the finish work started. It was awful. In the new shower we chose riverstone for the floor. It looked beautiful. Then they grouted it. They filled the stone up with grout to where only the top 1/4 of the stone was visible. Within weeks of installation we had chunks of grout falling out. Among many other issues. This is where our fun started.

We called Lowes to log a complaint and begin some type of warranty process. Back and forth with Lowes they tell us to call GC. Call GC and he says we have to call tiles guys that did work. Everyone passing buck back and forth. This was daily cordial but aggressive phones call and visits from random Lowes, GC, and contractor folk.

This went on for FIVE years. FIVE. Finally, after five years, Lowes agreed to a complete tear-out and re-install. They would cover everything including materials they didn't supply as part of the original scope.

My lessons:

The layering of vendors and sub-contractors convoluted the process so much and added so much political BS. I thought a company like Lowes would be responsive to our needs and stand on the contractors. Not so much. We were on our own. Now the first question I ask a contractor when they bid on work is: DO YOU EMPLOY YOUR OWN TRADESMEN? IF NOT, HOW MANY ARE SUBS. I only like to work with contractors who use their own employees. Or at least as much as possible

Secondly, this is going to take a long time. I hate to say it; but my gut feeling is you will be without a kitchen for months to years. Legal battles are never going to be resolved quickly. Be very prudent with suggesting a legal resolution. Figure out exactly where your money is at vs. goods/services delivered and see if you can justify walking away and starting fresh.

Lastly, be persistent in whichever path you choose. We were constantly navigating the hierarchy of Lowes. From the local sales team and finally ending at at regional VPs and beyond. We ended up finding these folks cell phone numbers (from sympathetic Lowes employees) and would constantly bug them. Stay persistent. Avoid directly talking about suing. You are willing to take all actions within your control. But the moment you mention a lawsuit they may recoil and say fine, do it and entirely walk away from you. In which case the "years" start to tick by.

Good luck. I hate remodeling and dealing with these guys.

Adower

Established Member
What are the chances you are capable of managing this yourself? You might also check with an interior designer and see if one would take on your job. My wife consults on projects outside our company. At least you would have someone who can do some quality control if you can schedule subs. A designer will also have subs they work with.
Managing it myself as in doing the work? If so, 0 chance lol.

Adower

Established Member
This sounds eerily familiar. As I've mentioned before, if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Our project was for a master bath remodel. A fairly extensive remodel with layout changes (a two person shower where a large tub was previously installed) and leak remediation (new drywall and subfloor in areas). Total project cost was about $40k.

We went and had a number of contractors bid on the project. Ultimately we decided on Lowes. Their overall price was in the middle and they simplified a lot of the material purchase/selection/liability B.S. As others have said, contractors can be "extra" to deal with. Our experience was no different. We'd have to endure the inevitable lectures about how busy they are, how good they are, and we are lucky we are talking with them. lol.

Fast forward. I did most of the demo (drywall removal and subfloor removal) and I did all the electrical work (I was a journey industrial electrician back in my yutes). Contractor came and started plumbing and install. Everything was going fine. Then the finish work started. It was awful. In the new shower we chose riverstone for the floor. It looked beautiful. Then they grouted it. They filled the stone up with grout to where only the top 1/4 of the stone was visible. Within weeks of installation we had chunks of grout falling out. Among many other issues. This is where our fun started.

We called Lowes to log a complaint and begin some type of warranty process. Back and forth with Lowes they tell us to call GC. Call GC and he says we have to call tiles guys that did work. Everyone passing buck back and forth. This was daily cordial but aggressive phones call and visits from random Lowes, GC, and contractor folk.

This went on for FIVE years. FIVE. Finally, after five years, Lowes agreed to a complete tear-out and re-install. They would cover everything including materials they didn't supply as part of the original scope.

My lessons:

The layering of vendors and sub-contractors convoluted the process so much and added so much political BS. I thought a company like Lowes would be responsive to our needs and stand on the contractors. Not so much. We were on our own. Now the first question I ask a contractor when they bid on work is: DO YOU EMPLOY YOUR OWN TRADESMEN? IF NOT, HOW MANY ARE SUBS. I only like to work with contractors who use their own employees. Or at least as much as possible

Secondly, this is going to take a long time. I hate to say it; but my gut feeling is you will be without a kitchen for months to years. Legal battles are never going to be resolved quickly. Be very prudent with suggesting a legal resolution. Figure out exactly where your money is at vs. goods/services delivered and see if you can justify walking away and starting fresh.

Lastly, be persistent in whichever path you choose. We were constantly navigating the hierarchy of Lowes. From the local sales team and finally ending at at regional VPs and beyond. We ended up finding these folks cell phone numbers (from sympathetic Lowes employees) and would constantly bug them. Stay persistent. Avoid directly talking about suing. You are willing to take all actions within your control. But the moment you mention a lawsuit they may recoil and say fine, do it and entirely walk away from you. In which case the "years" start to tick by.

Good luck. I hate remodeling and dealing with these guys.
Good lord. They say someone always has it worse than you. Not sure how you had the fortitude to deal with that for 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread