Considering taking a look at this 92 Coupe

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm wondering what you guys think this could be worth. I know it needs a little work, but looks like a pretty clean car overall. It's only 1 town over from me.

He lists the car as:
"Stock 302, 5 speed, 58k miles, black interior. No rust/rot. Car was previously converted to carburetor by last owner. I have installed a Holley Super Sniper EFI system with a full Aeromotive return fuel system that has a 340 pump and -6 feed and return fuel lines. Car has a 5 lug swap with Cobra brakes and Roush Wheels. Additional upgrades are tubular upper and lower control arms, lowering springs, 3.73 gears, flow master exhaust , upgraded alternator, many polished parts including new air conditioning system, new windshield. The paint is not good. It was painted Cobalt Candy Blue by the previous owner and did a poor job. It will need someminor bodywork and a repaint."

1652143394359.png

1652143419983.png

1652143448019.png

1652143475737.png

1652143502363.png

1652143529045.png

q6543

Established Member
What's he asking??

Also I'd have questions why the steering wheel appears to be upside down.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'm no good on Fox prices. Would a carfax/auto check be any help on a '92? I was just thinking about a reason for painting (accident).

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm no good on Fox prices. Would a carfax/auto check be any help on a '92? I was just thinking about a reason for painting (accident).

Yeah, possibly could have been in a wreck. I'm not sure. They are getting old enough to where people are just needing to repaint them anyway also though. I have a hard time valuing foxes too. I feel like it's a fair price, but I'd like to hear some opinions before I post what he is asking for it.
58k miles and black interior is nice too.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It's 158k... not likely 58k
Under 10k it's a buy.. teens probably pass for a nicer 1.
Seller claims it has a clean title. Not sure how he would hide a 100k mile discrepancy. In MA any mileage discrepancy is noted on the title.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Take a paint and body guy with you.
Based on that description of having a poor repaint, I’d tread cautiously.
Meet at a local shop you trust and see it on a lift.
-J

q6543

Established Member
This car is not clean and unmolested at all.

It's a flipping carb swapped, repaint.
The only thing going for it is it's coupe.

Hell...make sure it's a E vin and not A... could even be a 4cyl swap car too.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I mean, I never said anything about it being unmolested. I just don't see how they can pull off a full 100k discrepancy on the title.
And yes, I would definitely be checking the VIN.

I definitely appreciate all the insight. I've owned a few foxes, but that was 20 years ago.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Body and paint is going to cost you for sure. For something quality anyway. With that being said under 10k I’d jump. I would walk if it’s over 12k. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Does seem like a few "red flags" to consider. But it is a notch, and it seems by your description to be a decent car, minus the paint. The fact that the engine bay was painted, makes me think someone cared at least a little bit during the paint work. Pluses the 5 lug / disc, black interior, and a notch. I like it.

You did not mention the asking price? Foxes aint getting any cheaper, until gas goes away, or us people that grew up with them start dying off.....

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
The cost of a quality paint job and whatever body work is going to be a bit of coin. Would you want to keep it how it is or return it back to fuel injection? I would be in for 10-12k on this, and then spend that much more returning it to a more stock trim with a good repaint. i think after it will be worth about what you have in it.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I've owned about a dozen foxes and still have a few in the stable now. This one could be pretty good if you don't have to worry about emissions, are mechanically inclined, and using it as a weekend cruiser. A year or two ago I would walk away at 6 grand. Now I might do 10 if it was a factory V8 car.

Have you looked at the carfax? Definitely check it if you haven't. The clusters on these cars are only 5 digit, cost about 100 bucks, and take about 15 minutes to swap. It is extremely easy to hide a 100k discrepancy, sans Carfax on them.

Check the Vin to ensure its originally a v8 car, then torque boxes, pinch welds under the seats, lower radiator support, and the frame rails (specifically in the front where you support the car on stands.) Oh and it looks like the windshield wipers / motor were removed so don't buy it if it looks like it's going to rain, or you have safety inspection.

Also bring a magnet and a thin piece of cloth to check for body filler.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread