Considering buying a 5.0

CO_SVT

Established Member
As the title says, I am considering purchasing a 2011 or 2012 5.0 for the wife. I was wondering what you all look for in terms of options when you purchased yours? Anything you wish you did have? Anything that you found useless or could do without? Pros and cons of the options. I looked on the Ford website and they have a lot of options so was just trying to see what the must haves and not so hot items are.

Thanks

corruptor

Established Member
Rear backup cam is a must have in my opinion (makes parallel parking so much easier in a city like San Francisco).

I also like the HID lights as they're much brighter than halogens.

I like the leather option, makes the interior feel a bit nicer and takes some attention away from the hard plastic door panels. I could live without heated seats. In hindsight, I could probably also live without the Brembo brake package since I don't do any track days anymore.

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
For a pure daily driver I'd get a premium auto with:
- glass roof (because it's awesome)
- hid's (because the halogens are scary and damn near unsafe, people don't even flash me when I leave on my highbeams on a two-lane county road at midnight!)

Beyond those two, it's all personal preference IMO.

***edit*** I'm not ammo and I don't wanna be shit :poke:

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
MUST haves....

HID headlights
Premium pkg. 400a or 401a
auto trans

Optional haves....

Brembo pkg
3.73 gears
manual trans
Electronics pkg with nav
heated seats

Pass on options....

The garbage appearance pkg with fake scoops and louvers
Glass roof, unless you want your head to burn in the summer

5.0jake

Established Member
For the wife or really for you? Is she into performance cars?
I like the 3.55's more than the 3.73's personally.
Brembo pkg awesome!
Manual much more fun.

Auto great for drag racing and daily traffic. Can get boring. Tune mandatory.

kingnut

Established Member
this is first ive heard of the factory halogens being dim.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I wanted the Brembo pkg but I could probably could do without.
Heated seats are a must and really help my bad back.
I didn't want the Electronics pkg but now that I have it I love it.

The only other options I wish I had were the HID's, Shaker 1000.

Screamin 40th

♪♫♫♪♪♫
Established Member
My wife actually picked out my car. I found a Kona blue with 3.55's online and when we went to the dealership she talked me into getting my black GT/CS with 3.73's. She absolutely loves it. She's only driven it about 5 times in the year I've had it due to her not so stellar driving record. The only thing I wish mine had is the Shaker 1000.

99mstng

Established Member
IMO 401A over 400A for $395 is a must along with HID's. I also got the Nav with the rear camera and think it was worth it although it’s not for everyone (I like the spoiler better too). 3.73's and Brembo’s for me was a must because I wanted the appearance and performance.

The only option I'm still on the fence about is the comfort package. The heated seats are nice when I use them but since the car is stored in the winter it’s not very often. Also there is only 1 setting and the power passenger seat is a pain if you plan to have rear seat passengers.

I wouldn't spend the $ for any of the appearance packages because I'm not a big fan of the scoops. Glass roof was cool but for $2k it wasn't worth it to me.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife actually picked out my car. I found a Kona blue with 3.55's online and when we went to the dealership she talked me into getting my black GT/CS with 3.73's

Funny, my wife did the same thing. Went looking at a white Brembo car and she absolutely hounded me about buying the black GT/CS instead.

The only thing I wish mine had is the Shaker 1000

Trust me, this option is absolutely not worth it. I wound up replacing the factory sub amp and speakers to get any acceptable SQ out of it. For about $1100 you could buy the JL Stealthbox, 600w amp and install kit. Would cost less and is an order of magnitude better than the factory stuff.

RusWolf

Established Member
I have a premium and i really like it. Pretty much has every option that i really need. I made somewhat of a mistake and bought my car from a car lot because i got a pretty sweet deal on it, i should have shopped around and probably would have found a similar deal on HID/Brembo car but too late now And i love it anyway.
Now, the options that i would like to have from the get go.

1) HID ( but it's solved with custom projector retrofit, currently happening)
2) Brembo brakes (Which can be purchased separately for around $500 if you look around.
3) Navigation, i do not like factory navigation unit's so it's not a big deal.
Easily fixed with Pioneer Z130BT unit and dash kit for around $1000 if you install yourself.

So really nothing that can't be added later on if REALLY desired.
If i keep this car for 4-5 more years i'm upgrading to Wilwood brakes at the same time as i get some baller wheels just for the simple look of huge brakes and calipers and like i mentioned i will do my own projector headlights that will outperform factory projector's in the sharpness department.

Last edited:

CO_SVT

Established Member
For the wife or really for you? Is she into performance cars?
I like the 3.55's more than the 3.73's personally.
Brembo pkg awesome!
Manual much more fun.

Auto great for drag racing and daily traffic. Can get boring. Tune mandatory.

lol It really is for her, she likes performance cars. Not saying that I won't be modding it :beer:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
This is a funny thread. I have a base Brembo car. It has the backup warning system. Basically, that is the only "must have" option I would recommend. Now, that is for a performance oriented male driver. Your wife may favor comfort, I don't know. She might like an auto, again...don't know. I don't want to assume anything, because your wife may be a die hard performance nut.

I live in New Orleans. Glass roofs would bake my brain. Leather seats are hot as hell in the summer, and freeze my ass in the winter. Plus, the leather seats I have seen in Mustangs down here have looked worn in short order. Our climate is tough. The HIDs would be nice, I admit. The steering wheel is terrible on the base, it was the second thing I changed.

If I could go back, I would have gotten 3.55 or 3.73s. I would have at least driven an auto, but probably would have still bought a manual. Autos are boring, even if they are quick and consistent.

I took my car off of the lot, so I got what I got.

Mike

SynisterSVT

Established Member
I have the 401A package it is nice but asMike said the seats have worn. HIDs are a must. The Nav is nice and you areable to save CDs to a 10 gb hard drive.

If i was getting a 13 i would get a base with tech, recaros, and track pack, oh and spoiler delete.

4-keeps

Established Member
I love my auto with all of the comfort features. I know I would not change a thing. A must is the Nav/ sync/back up camera/dual climate controls for me. You can't order a 2012 auto with the brembo package thats something I would have like. The only feature I'm not sure of is the glass roof top I heard it adds a few more lb's. My car is heavy like its owner already :). Hope this info helps, good luck don't think you can go wrong anyway with the new 5.0

Billy

CO_SVT

Established Member
I have the 401A package it is nice but asMike said the seats have worn. HIDs are a must. The Nav is nice and you areable to save CDs to a 10 gb hard drive.

If i was getting a 13 i would get a base with tech, recaros, and track pack, oh and spoiler delete.

What do you mean by worn? Also were you driving the car everyday? Why did the seats get worn?

Users who are viewing this thread