Considering an E60 M5 - Advice/Thoughts?

football76

Established Member
EDIT - Car was sold to another guy. '15 GT for me :D

Short story - I now have a 5 mile commute to work and I want out of my Camry. Not in a hurry to get something new, just miss being in a performance car (previously had a '12 Mustang GT). Been keeping an eye on the local Carmax lot (I like that they leave the doors open and they're cool about test drives) for a few months now. I've also been considering a '15 Mustang GT. My budget is $30-40k (have the cash).

So I pull up today and they've got a 2006 E60 M5 w/ only 9,800 miles on it (I asked for a backstory but I guess it's common to get some premium vehicles with stupid low miles around here in the OC). I've already seen the carfax, it's clean. It's loaded, unfortunately has the SMG transmission but for the miles I'm still interested in the V10.

My question - I don't have too much experience w/ M5's though I've owned a few German cars in the past. I know these can be maintenance nightmares but I can get a 125k mile warranty from Carmax for $3k. Looking for thoughts and opinions - I've got the car on hold until tomorrow.

Last edited:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
04-05 E55 AMG>E60 M5.

but if you must only get a manual trans.

be ready for 9-10 MPG aroung town and 18-19 HWY

no low end, 5.bros will give you all you can handle until well into triple digits.

actually fairly relaible

if poorly maintained will be a nitemare

in conclusion buy the E55.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I looked at getting one before getting my cobra and was turned off by maintenance cost.

I believe 2006 was the first year for the E60 M5's so prepare for your normal first year of the car problems.

I read the SMG transmissions have issues as well as the rod bearings in these cars but they shouldnt really become an issue until you get closer to 100k.

If you get it make sure you get that warranty. You will be thanking yourself later.

That being said, I can only imagine how badass that V10 sounds at 8,000rpm.

football76

Established Member
Yeah, the maintenance is a bit of a bear, but the V10 is stunning. I test drove it today - it's funny how similar my experience was to the Top Gear review. "Too much finicky tech, doesn't feel that special, looks a bit blah... push the 'M' button... Holy mother of... this is awesome. Want!!"

I'm just so torn because I've been trying to hold out for a '15 GT, but it's not everyday that a pristine, ultra low mile M5 comes available. The car looks, feels, smells literally brand new in person.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
If the warranty is solid I would buy it. One of the few cars I still stare at when I see one after almost 10 years.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
9 year old car vs new car? Wouldn't even be a question for me. That's a pretty plain looking bimmer if you ask me and the interior already looks a tad bit dated. Go for the stang

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
E55>M5 as stated or go for the 2015. M5's are nice until you have the stupid upkeep of the motor.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
A bimmer with an afternarket warranty, run...

Go with the Mustang

Sick03Vert

Banned
A bimmer with an afternarket warranty, run...

Go with the Mustang

Many aftermarket warranty companies have better coverage and are more reliable than factory warranties. CarMax has one of the best warranties on the market. Ask me how I know.

M5 + Warranty = Fun for many years...and the resale will hold.

DON'T get the new Mustang. Please. I'm hoping that car dies a quick death as it is one FUGLY POS. It's a two-door Fusion.

Also, German engineering vs. first year run American car. Think it through.

kaz109

Established Member
I prefer the M5 over an E55 all day long. Much more fun and race feel IMO...steering is much better and I LOVE the high rev V10 over the low redline E55, if I could've found a M5 with a MT and lows miles I would have that instead of my C63....OP if you go M5 I would stay clear of the SMG trans.....

as far as which is better its an apples to organges comparasion . On paper it would be better to go for the new mustang, can't lose with its weight and motor but the E60 M5 is truly something special and is hard to put into words to someone that hasn't driven one hard. Just stoplight to stoplight ppl will say E55 but there is no fun in that, when u really get to open the car up and add some turns into the mix...I laugh at ppl saying the E55 is the better car.

08mojo

Established Member
Don't rely on this board to give you the right answer. There are plenty of M5 specific forums, and the E60 can be problematic. My buddy has had one for 3-4 years--no major issues. There are plenty of other horror stories though... This is one that stuck out in my mind since it was a relatively simple failure that cost $$$$$$$$$ and a lot of hassle to repair: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=374672

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Just an FYI, my boss owned one, granted he bought it new under warranty. The SMG is fine. It's the brushes in the pump motor that go out causing the transmission to lock in gear leaving you stranded. They sell brand new upgraded pumps for like $600 on ebay. They pop up all the time. The same company also makes pumps for Ferrari etc.. Just have a spare pump on hand.

xenodragon

Established Member
I frequent the BMW boards often. I wanted an E60 M5 for a while, from what I read they are actually pretty reliable. I would recommend getting it in a manual transmission though. Ya there are horror stories of it costing alot of money to fix, but I feel like thats the same with almost every car. Get an extended warranty on it and just maintain it, and you shouldnt have an issue.

I know I have mentioned this in almost every BMW post that pops up, but my family and I have owned many high mile german cars, and to be honest spend less on them then some newer makes (american) with lower miles, for what its worth.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
If the warranty checks out, I would get it. My brother owns an 08 M5 with straight exhaust and cats and man, it sounds like no other. My only gripe is the MPG and the jerky shifts when crusing the car.

IMO I would take the M5 over the E55, I love the E55 my friend has been owning one (I almost bought one as well) for almost 10 years but the interior looks older and I hate the stupid million buttons it has. E55 is faster in a straight line from a launch and…… that's about it. If you thought a Cobra was bad with a Heaton, oh man, E55 is WORSE. The newer one's I think 06? had better cooling but you will never beat N/A for reliability.

But again ONLY if warranty checks out, if not, stay away from it unless you wanna pay a hefty price tag sometime in the future.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
04-05 E55 AMG>E60 M5.

but if you must only get a manual trans.

be ready for 9-10 MPG aroung town and 18-19 HWY

no low end, 5.bros will give you all you can handle until well into triple digits.

actually fairly relaible

if poorly maintained will be a nitemare

in conclusion buy the E55.
No low end, 5.0 will give you all you can handle? So are you implying the 5.0 has no low end either? The M5 has a rated 0-60 in 4.1 secs which is faster than any stock 5.0 has achieved. Tq is not everything…… Drive one first with an SMG tranny using the launch control, you'll be amazed how strong it feels low end.

Users who are viewing this thread