Considering 2016-18 Cherokee Trailhawk. Thoughts?

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
My needs have shifted and find myself more in need of an SUV than a pickup. Ideally, I'd like an Expedition EL (or Max as they are now called) but even used, well equipped 2016+ models are out of my price range. So I find myself in the market for a mid-size SUV. I like both the Edge and CX-5, but I find myself really drawn to the Cherokee Trailhawk. I seem to be finding them for mid-to-low $20k.

My primary concerns are with the expensive, shared Fiat parts and Chrysler's track record for shoddy build quality.

My main questions are:

1) What are your experiences with the 2016-18 model years? (I've heard there were problems with the 2015 and older transmissions but that they were fixed for 2016+.)
2) How far has Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge come with overall build quality?
3) Understanding that it is a unibody and is not to be compared to any "real" off-road capable vehicle, how is the Trailhawk in non-pavement environments. I'm not taking it rock crawling or to the local mud pit. But the occasional trail would be fun.
4) Are there any model years that are to be avoided or optional features that are "must-have"?
5) 2.4 I4 or 3.2 V6?

mariusvt

Established Member
They aren't bad for what they are. They have Jeep's 4wd capability and are fine for your average trail ride. Definitely the 3.2, it's not even a contest.

Users who are viewing this thread