Considering 2011 Ford Edge HID conversion.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
One of the things my wife has always disliked about her 2011 Edge is the headlamps don't seem to make much of an impact during night time driving - in fact, they straight up suck personally. We've considered going with an HID kit for quite some time now, but it has always just been put on the back burner for other projects, but after we went driving last night in less than desirable raining and sleeting conditions, I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on a quality kit.

A.) I'm looking for recommendations on quality kits.

B.) I'd like to know more about how you guys feel about some of what I've read regarding HID kits not being effective for single filament halogen projectors. Would I necessitate upgrading the entire housing and projector assembly?

Interestingly enough, we have the Sport model with the bi halogen projectors which is supposed to be higher than the Limited, but the Sport didn't have the HID upgrade option while the Limited did. Apparently, this was to create another incentive for buyers to jump from the sport to the MKZ, which had the Xenon projectors. Or something like that...which then has me wondering if the best way to go about this would be to track down HID assemblies from a LTD model. That and I think I read aftermarket HID are technically illegal, so if I bought a factory Limited HID kit from the same model year, it wouldn't aftermarket since the base model has the HID available for the projector housing...at least the way I see it. I'm thinking it is considered illegal mostly for kits in reflectors.

Want to do it once and do it right, but if I can do it right while saving money versus completely new headlight assemblies, than that would be preferred. Your input is appreciated.

Last edited:

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I used a Retrofit Source Morimoto HID kit on my 13 Explorer with the factory halogen projectors and the cutoff looks like any other car with factory HIDs. No one ever flashes their high beams at me and the improvement over stock is crazy.

bigmoose

Established Member
Morimoto from the retrofit source here as well on my explorer Sport. I had them in the factory projectors which were good. I have since upgraded the projectors to the evox-r and they are amazing.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I used a Retrofit Source Morimoto HID kit on my 13 Explorer with the factory halogen projectors and the cutoff looks like any other car with factory HIDs. No one ever flashes their high beams at me and the improvement over stock is crazy.

Did the same to my wife's 2010 Milan and the change is insane! TRS quality is great and install was very easy.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
get in touch with http://www.hidretrofitlights.com/

and send them money. It's that easy. DO NOT put a xenon bulb in a holagon housing and blind people.

If you're referring to a non-projector style housing, I agree with you. If you are referring to a projector style housing, I disagree with you. I've been running ours for a little over 7 months and not one person has flashed me. I have flashed other people that stick HID bulbs into standard halogen housings.

oldmodman

Established Member
Here is another possible solution.

Was your model year ever available with HID as a factory Option?
If it was they will give you the best fit as a solution. Look in junkyards and on Ebay.
I recently helped a neighbor get and install the factory HID optional lights from a Honda minivan into his Honda minivan.
The actually cost less that buying a set of HID housings and getting them properly adapted to his minivan. And they are self leveling and plugged right into his factory harness.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I think this is what I'm looking into. The Limited Edge had them as an option, but our Sport didn't. People say it was a way for Ford to incentive making one extra jump from Sport to MKZ. Doesn't make any other sense why Ford would remove HID options from a higher trim.

Here is another possible solution.

Was your model year ever available with HID as a factory Option?
If it was they will give you the best fit as a solution. Look in junkyards and on Ebay.
I recently helped a neighbor get and install the factory HID optional lights from a Honda minivan into his Honda minivan.
The actually cost less that buying a set of HID housings and getting them properly adapted to his minivan. And they are self leveling and plugged right into his factory harness.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Our '13 Edge Limited came with HIDs. They are bright. Maybe suggest looking at junkyards or ebay for used HID lamps?

Users who are viewing this thread