connecting rod caps?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I pulled my rods out and plan to install arp 2000 bolts and new bearings. question is I forgot to mark the caps from which way they came off. did I just do a major no no or what?

I still have to get the block machined and all. just need some advise

thanks

I forgot to mark prior to removal

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
what is checked and does it matter which way on stock manley rods?

can I do any of the measuring?

I want to learn and understand the inner workings of these engines.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
what would happen in one of the caps got umm say mixed up with one of the other rods? could the machine shop also check and fix that or are the rods now junk....

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
what would happen in one of the caps got umm say mixed up with one of the other rods? could the machine shop also check and fix that or are the rods now junk....

If it makes you feel better you can probably buy a $10.00 magnifying glass at Staples and compare the machining marks on each side of each rod and cap. I have done this in the past and most of the time it is fairly easy to match them up. Just take your time and look for the tell tale signs. The OE Terminator rods were also slashed in purple on the side of each rod and cap. Most of the time these factory marks are still visible and no two are identical. I would still have the machine shop double check them.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
If it makes you feel better you can probably buy a $10.00 magnifying glass at Staples and compare the machining marks on each side of each rod and cap. I have done this in the past and most of the time it is fairly easy to match them up. Just take your time and look for the tell tale signs. The OE Terminator rods were also slashed in purple on the side of each rod and cap. Most of the time these factory marks are still visible and no two are identical. I would still have the machine shop double check them.

This. I was worried about mixing up mine while I was replacing the rod bolts, but I quickly realized they all had a unique paint slash on one side only. It was easy to confirm they were matched up that way.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
This. I was worried about mixing up mine while I was replacing the rod bolts, but I quickly realized they all had a unique paint slash on one side only. It was easy to confirm they were matched up that way.

I do not see any paint marks on mine :-(

F u c k ......

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I do not see any paint marks on mine :-(

F u c k ......

They will be faded, all that will remain is a dark or light shadow of color, but they should be visible. I have seen some white, some purple, and a few dark grey. I am not sure what causes the color changes as they were all purple to start with.

f9a5aebf.jpg

sovtrods10.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread