Condensation/water in the clothes dryer. WTF?

Coiled03

Established Member
Anybody ever had this happen? I bought a new clothes dryer maybe 2 - 3 weeks ago. I had a new vent line to the wall installed as well. Ever since, I've noticed sometimes when I open the door to put in a load of clothes, there's condensation. Sometimes, it's bad enough to form a small puddle at the bottom of the drum Just now it was freakin' terrible; probably 1/4 in there.

Research I've done says it's usually due to a clogged, or improperly installed vent line. But, I've gone outside and checked. There's plenty of air flowing out, so I don't think it's clogged. WTF is going on?

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Your research already answered it. Pull it out and disconnect, make sure there's no obstruction.

It's not one of those new ones with the steamer is it?

MG0h3

Established Member
Only thing I’ve seen happen with a clogged vent is is cooks the heating element. First you’ll notice extended dry times because you aren’t actually moving air out.

I’d have to think you’re on the right track with the steamer valve leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The drum is cool in the house and the exterior vent flap is not closing all the way allowing Africa hot humid air in which is forming condensation on the cool drum.

Coiled03

Established Member
Your research already answered it. Pull it out and disconnect, make sure there's no obstruction.

It's not one of those new ones with the steamer is it?

No, it doesn't have a steamer. And there's no obstruction or I don't think any air would be flowing out the vent.

The drum is cool in the house and the exterior vent flap is not closing all the way allowing Africa hot humid air in which is forming condensation on the cool drum.

I thought of that. The thing is, the dryer that was removed didn't have this issue. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the old one - which was really old - was so clogged, there wasn't enough hot air getting in? Sound logical, or nah?

buffalosoldier

Established Member
Another thing to check is the washer, if it is not spinning all the water out you will have dripping out of the dryer. Are you using the max spin. I am guessing you have a top load washer, how old is it.
If the dryer vent is clogged the sensors will turn the heat off and on.
Drying is all about airflow.
I have removed a dead squirrel from a dryer vent, also birds nests, and lint wads the size of a loaf of bread, you can blow it out with a leaf blower hooked up at the dryer end. it will clear a lot of crap.
Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Coiled03

Established Member
Another thing to check is the washer, if it is not spinning all the water out you will have dripping out of the dryer. Are you using the max spin. I am guessing you have a top load washer, how old is it.
If the dryer vent is clogged the sensors will turn the heat off and on.
Drying is all about airflow.
I have removed a dead squirrel from a dryer vent, also birds nests, and lint wads the size of a loaf of bread, you can blow it out with a leaf blower hooked up at the dryer end. it will clear a lot of crap.
Good luck

The washer is only about a year older than the dryer. I'm not using max spin, but the clothes are practically dry before I even put them in the dryer.

Did they install a new exhaust duct with the new dryer?

Yes, they did. Well, a new duct between the dryer, and the wall was installed. From the wall to the exterior is not new.

I already know the hood of the vent line is damaged at the exit. It's damaged enough to allow dirt, mud, etc. to get in. But, there's still plenty of airflow coming out, so I don't know how much impact it's having.

In any event, I called maintenance, so we'll see what they do about it.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Anybody ever had this happen? I bought a new clothes dryer maybe 2 - 3 weeks ago. I had a new vent line to the wall installed as well. Ever since, I've noticed sometimes when I open the door to put in a load of clothes, there's condensation. Sometimes, it's bad enough to form a small puddle at the bottom of the drum Just now it was freakin' terrible; probably 1/4 in there.

Research I've done says it's usually due to a clogged, or improperly installed vent line. But, I've gone outside and checked. There's plenty of air flowing out, so I don't think it's clogged. WTF is going on?
Do you have one with a water hookup for steam? That could be the source...

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I was thinking that maybe the condensation was happening in the old duct (and you never noticed it) because it wasn't insulated and now it's happening in the dryer because of insulated duct, but that theory is shot now.

I got nuthin'.

Rct851

Established Member
to clarify, does your dryer vent through the exterior wall of your house or once it goes through the wall of your laundry room does it feed through the attic and vent through a vent on the roof?

buffalosoldier

Established Member
If the inside of the vent tube is coated with wet lint there we be a lot of mosture that wont go awsy.
There is a vent cleaning brush that attached to a drill that can clean one up pretty good. You can add extensions to make it longer and it will go around corners.

dan_dmg_gt01

Established Member
I've noticed this year if we leave clothes in the dryer for an extended period of time after a cycle they get damp. I've just assumed it was hot air from the outside being drawn back in through the exhaust vent causing condensation.

Rct851

Established Member
if Y’alls dryers vent through the roof I’d get in the attic and check it out, even if you don’t have a water stain on your Sheetrock indicating a leak.

you might find the decking is soft around where the vent exits the roof.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
If you live in a building with an extremely long vent you may need a dryer designed for that, most dryers max out at about 30 ft. Check the specs on yours to find out its maximum vent length. You may need one with a more powerful fan motor.
Not the news you may be looking for but it may be your resolution.

Rct851

Established Member
Those little booster motors you can install mid-stream are shit as well. Very common for condensation to build at that point and leak

Users who are viewing this thread