Concrete cleaner and tool degreaser

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Hey guys, I've been doing some work on the daily driver in garage and got transmission fluid and some grease on the ground, any recommendations on a cleaner to use?

Also what could I use to clean my tools with like my sockets and wrenches/ratchets?

_Snake_

Established Member
Purple Power on the floor and a degreasing hand wipe for the tools. Something like GoJo, Scrubs in a Bucket, Grime Boss, etc.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
LOL, I hope you have better luck than me. I've scrubbed the heck out of my concrete floor with Simple Green and Purple Power, with moderate results. If you get the spillage immediately, those products work OK, but if there are deep stains in the concrete then fughedaboudit. You'll need a serious acid type product.

If the stains are deep, I have much better luck using Speedi Dri type product. Let it sit on there for a few days, then grind it in with shoes. Do this a few times and most oil type stains are gone.

Good luck!

-

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This video show one method for removing oil stains, but it would also work for grease. Kitty litter is a cheaper alternative to using Speedy Dry. It helps if your concrete is sealed. If it is more porous, then stains absorbed into the concrete will be more of a challenge.

Now, check out THIS neat trick that really works!

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I've had pretty decent success with a power washer surface cleaner and Zep (available at home depot) concrete/drive way solution.

-Wet driveway
-Dilute solution to your desire (1:25 or 1:5 for tougher stains)
-KEEP WET
-Pressure wash
-Final rinse. (You can rinse as you go, just keep things wet)

Made my driveway "white" again.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I've always had good luck using cat litter. Last time my mom visited, her Jeep leaked transmission fluid on my driveway and the next day, I put some cat litter on it. I step on the cat litter to break it up a little and force it into the spill and leave it on for a couple hours. Seems to clean up rather nice IMO.

Edit: Since you're looking to clean up existing, the above are great starts. Cat litter is good for getting new spills and since I have two cats, I have plenty on hand ready to use.

Last edited:

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the tips, I guess I'm not trying to full get rid of the stains but just enough that if I step in it I don't track it through the house.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
A good floor coating works wonders. I wipe up a spill with a shop rag and mop my floor regularly with just a little soap and water.

SAC Man

Established Member
Hey guys, I've been doing some work on the daily driver in garage and got transmission fluid and some grease on the ground, any recommendations on a cleaner to use?

Also what could I use to clean my tools with like my sockets and wrenches/ratchets?
I always use Gunk engine degreaser. Spray it on, let it set for 30 minutes or so and then rinse it off. If it didn't get it all do it again. It will bleach the concrete a little bit but the oil is gone. I have also read that Dawn works. I didn't see how long to let it set before you rinse it off. Personally, I would put Dawn in a power washer. Give Gunk a try.

cj428mach

Established Member
My wife wanted to try to get up oil leaks from her old blazer so she used kitty litter and ground it into the pavement with a 2x4. It worked very well but it's very labor intensive.

Users who are viewing this thread