Concerts That Wowed You (Good or Bad)

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Good
J Geils band at Slippery Rock College. Little venue great show.
Moterhead in Detroit
Huey Lewis, just a fun concert.

Bad
Guns and Roses bad venue, bad crowd, most of the band members seemed wasted. I had seen them before and it was a killer concert.

PC03GT

Established Member
Good
Korn
Slipknot
Marylin Manson
Godsmack
System of a Down
TOOL

Worst
Rob Zombie, that mofo took a molly or some E before he came on stage, he just mumble the songs and dry humped the microphone stand

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd like to nominate Scott Weiland of STP for the "Most Wasted Dude on Stage" Award.
I dunno what year it was that I saw them, but that dude could barely stand.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Good
Korn
Slipknot
Marylin Manson
Godsmack
System of a Down

Worst
Rob Zombie, that mofo took a molly or some E before he came on stage, he just mumble the songs and dry humped the microphone stand
I've seen MM 3x, each show he has sounded like shit and failed to really get anyone into the show.
Godsmack I've seen at least 5x, and not by choice. (They started here locally) But Sully just sucks. He just bleh. Even saw them at a Bowling Alley in Boston (Lucky Strike) with under 200 people. It was literally 3 days after the Sox won the World Series in 04(?). Johnny Damon, Dave Roberts, Kevin Millar etc were all there. But the show itself just blew.

SOAD never fails to impress. That is one I forgot about for sure

Rob Zombie I have seen a few times and yup, his show lacks energy and their sound guy blows. WHITE Zombie, on the other hand, I had the pleasure of seeing a couple of times back in the 90s and that was just awesome.

I'd like to add Black Sabbath as well, not sure how I didn't think about them. Just a huge presence on stage.

Anyone get to see David Bowie?
david bowie GIF

His death crushed me for a solid week.:(

VegasMichael

Established Member
Went to see Foghat in a club in Washington when they were well past their hey day. I think it was '91 or '92. They had trouble getting their equipment to work and then the drummer passed out. End of show.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I've lost count how many time I've seen 311 over the years. Been to multiple 311-Day concerts. I'm just glad they started splitting 311-Day into 2 nights. The first few I went to were 5 to 6 hour long concerts. I don't even know how the band could do it.

Most rap sucks live, but Snoop opened for 311 at Red Rocks one year and it was awesome.
Coheed and Cambria were awesome in concert.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Good:
Slipknot
Korn
Alice in Chains
Nonpoint
Megadeth
Static x
Black label society
Poison

Great:
Dio
Disturbed
Metalica
Faith no more
Aerosmith

Awesome
Alice cooper
Kid rock

Suck
Lots lol
Staind ( now i saw aaron lewis solo and it was pretty damn good)
AIC the time i saw em right before staley ODd
Motley crue...well vince sucked
Deftones
Skid row
Slaughter
Winger

BlackHrtStang

METAL!
Established Member
I went to a ton of shows as a late teen early 20s. First show was mudvayne touring for ld 50 with nonpoint. Bands seen

Bleeding through
Lamb of god
Black dahlia murder
Canbal corpse
Tool
Slipknot
A perfect circle (on Halloween too)
Stone sour
Static x
Chevelle
Mastadon (not a huge fan but they are amazing live)
Slayer
Fear factory
System of a down
Ramstien
Acacia strain
Through the eyes of the dead
Strapping young lad
Unearth
As I lay dying
Cold
Deep purple
Dio
Sparta
Say anything

There are a ton more that I can't think of right now. Only one I walked out of was evanescence. Not a fan but it really seemed like she couldn't pull the notes off like in the albums. I am super lucky and saw most of these metal bands in a venue that probably only holds like 300 to 400 people. San antonio is awesome if you are into metal/rock

Sent from my SM-G781U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Anyone seen Norma Jean live? They're probably in my top 3 favorite bands of all time yet never even came close to seeing them live. Norma Jean or The Chariot actually before they split. If so, how are they?

IA Shelby

Established Member
The best ever…Pink Floyd twice

Outstanding…
Lynyrd Skynyrd in 87
Peter Frampton 35 anniversary tour of Frampton Comes Alive
Clapton
Allman Brothers
Springsteen multiple times
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eagles
Page & Plant
Bob Seger
Dave Mason
John Mellencamp
bily Joel
Doobie Brothers
The Who
Fleetwood Mac
Joe Walsh

Not so good
Motley Crue
Kiss
Tom Petty (off night)
Chicago

Wish List that I haven’t seen
Van Morrison

mld54

Established Member
Great Shows

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Lynyrd Skynyrd (the original band in Jacksonville Florida)
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Jethro Tull
A/C D/C (with Brian singing)
Aerosmith
Billy Joel
Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon concert)
Rolling Stones
Springsteen (I'm not a fan, but got a free ticket, it was good show)
Stevie Nicks
John Mellencamp
Joe Walsh
The Outlaws
The Allman Brothers (after Duane's death)
ZZ Top
Marshal Tucker Band
Ted Nugent (Cat Scratch Fever concert)
REO Speed Wagon
Peter Frampton (comes alive concert)
Santana (Abraxas concert, first concert I ever went to)
Charlie Daniels
The Who
Boston
Bob Seger
Bad Company

Most of these were in the 70's some in the 80's. Most of the tickets were under $20. There were many many more I just can't remember, lost in the haze. Damn now I'm feeling old.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Great Shows

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Lynyrd Skynyrd (the original band in Jacksonville Florida)
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Jethro Tull
A/C D/C (with Brian singing)
Aerosmith
Billy Joel
Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon concert)
Rolling Stones
Springsteen (I'm not a fan, but got a free ticket, it was good show)
Stevie Nicks
John Mellencamp
Joe Walsh
The Outlaws
The Allman Brothers (after Duane's death)
ZZ Top
Marshal Tucker Band
Ted Nugent (Cat Scratch Fever concert)
REO Speed Wagon
Peter Frampton (comes alive concert)
Santana (Abraxas concert, first concert I ever went to)
Charlie Daniels
The Who
Boston
Bob Seger
Bad Company

Most of these were in the 70's some in the 80's. Most of the tickets were under $20. There were many many more I just can't remember, lost in the haze. Damn now I'm feeling old.

Trust me, most of us wish we could have seen all of those concerts as well. I would have loved to have seen a Pink Floyd show.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Waaaaayyyyy back in the '70's, Emerson Lake and Palmer, a band I had never heard of, played the Houston Summit. They absolutely brought the house down! One of the best concerts I ever saw. The bad thing is, whatever the magic was in the show? All the same great music? It didn't always translate to the studio recordings. The songs "Tarkus," and "Karn Evil 9," for instance? Knocked me on my ass live. The recordings? Espe4cially for "Tarkus," just ... missed the mark.

But to this day, when I hear one of the rare live versions of Karn Evil 9, it puts me right back in time to that show.

"Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside ..."

And some of the songs were just as awesome live as on record, like Hoedown, Lucky Man, etc.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Then about ten years ago we caught Big Bad Voodoo Daddy at a show in a small venue in Austin, Texas. That, too, just brought the house down! Those guys love the music they played, loved playing live, and it showed in every note.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Not big concert goers here but Alan Jackson live sounds exactly like he does recorded. 10/10 would recommend

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
We saw Linkin Park a couple times and always enjoyed it. Snoop really surprised me when I saw him perform. Korn and Disturbed never fail to blow me away.

The first time we saw Disturbed David kept apologizing become he had just gotten over a cold. Not that anyone could tell. I will always go see them as well as Korn whenever they're in town.

System of a Down was here recently and they were just meh. Serj didn't seem like he wanted to be there. My buddy and I talked about it and he said the same thing. Plus it was like they were just going for loud. I'm sure that was the sound guy.

We've seen The Offspring once and they were fun. I'd see them again.

A long ass time ago there was a concert on base. Third Eye Blind was the headliner. Unfortunately they completely sucked. However the opening band, Dance Hall Crashers, were awesome. But I think they were one of those small bands that didn't really get far.

Adower

Established Member
I've lost count how many time I've seen 311 over the years. Been to multiple 311-Day concerts. I'm just glad they started splitting 311-Day into 2 nights. The first few I went to were 5 to 6 hour long concerts. I don't even know how the band could do it.

Most rap sucks live, but Snoop opened for 311 at Red Rocks one year and it was awesome.
Coheed and Cambria were awesome in concert.
Nice my wife and I love 311. I prefer their cruise over the 311 day.

Adower

Established Member
Rush, they basically did their set from Rush In Rio. Very grateful I got to see the Holy Trinity before Neil passed

Dave Matthews (always rained every year I saw them but that just made it better)

Slightly Stoopid 4 or 5 times. First time I saw them there were less than hundred people at the venue

Pepper, saw them in undergrad at school, followed them to another Uni for an encore show

Fishbone a few times (one of the greatest live bands I've ever seen, they put on an amazing show)

Expendables

Was supposed to see Tool on this tour but had a kiddo and that threw a wrench in the works. Still on my list

Bands I wish I could've seen:
Floyd
Zeppelin
If you have a chance go see rebelution and tribal seeds. If you like Cali reggae.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I've seen MM 3x, each show he has sounded like shit and failed to really get anyone into the show.

Not really a fair answer, without stating a year. He's been known to be sober at times, and other times basically halfass a show if not simply walking off stage when he wants. I mean, hell, his prime was 25-30 years ago. That's 1/3rd the life of most musicians. His voice isn't there, he is overweight, and out of shape. He's long pissed off, fired, and ran off all the original band. He's basically just doing "greatest hits" concerts at this point, and I mean like 3 years ago. I think he's done touring with current "issues" at hand, but I hope I'm wrong. I've seen some impressive shows but 23ish years ago. The most recent one about 3 years ago was mostly him just standing at the mic and singing without much emotion.

I'm off to see Rob Zombie and Mudvayne in 2 months, but I'm not hoping for much. I've come to admit it's no longer 1999. LOL

I was excited to see Fear Factory 3 months ago but it got covid'ed. :( It's rescheduled for like mid 2023 or some BS. :(

Users who are viewing this thread