Computer need time to adjust to Procharger?

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
I took my 99 Cobra out for a spin this afternoon and was impressed with the "seat-o-the-pants" difference. Although I was expecting a little more kick(using 8 psi pulley, 3-core kit)

Does the new computer chip, Lighting mass air, etc...take time to adjust to the new setup? Like putting on a new exhaust?

Heading to the dyno next week sometime.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Yes, it will take a few drives. Your "kick" though won't come on the low end when you punch the gas...the supercharger will spool faster the higher your rpm's go. It'll be like getting pushed harder and harder back into your seat.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
yea. The car feels stock until around 3000... then its just gets wild. two reasons why the amazing horsepower doesent feel like it should:
1) Our cars are very smooth, and deceptively fast.
2) The boost comes on gradually.

Another reason why you might be dissapointed with the power is because the chip that they send you is programmed to be PIG rich just to be on the safe side. Expect to see massive horsepower gains with a proper dyno-tune.

Trust me. Even though it doesent feel like it, you are making some serious power.

-Homer

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Oh, and one more reason..

Gears. Our cars make power from 3000-up. The 3.27's are almost like 2:73's in a 5.0 mustang. They are just too tall to let the cobra motor pull the way it should. Even with boost.

4V's love gears!! I saw a bone stock IRS cobra with 4:56's run a 12.98 on 20 inch rubber. Imagine how quick your blown cobra will be with some 3.73's or 4:10's.

-Homer

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Originally posted by kpyzfrwon
I took my 99 Cobra out for a spin this afternoon and was impressed with the "seat-o-the-pants" difference. Although I was expecting a little more kick(using 8 psi pulley, 3-core kit)

Does the new computer chip, Lighting mass air, etc...take time to adjust to the new setup? Like putting on a new exhaust?

Heading to the dyno next week sometime.

Bro get your car tuned... I would not drive it very hard until you do. At least get it on a dyno so you can tell how it's running.

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
I've got an appointment on Thursday at the dyno. Hoping for 400+ right out of the box.

Hey guys....how much does your boost gauge read "vacuum" when you car first starts up & idles? Mine reads 20 p.s.i.

Just checking to make sure I hooked gauge up to a accurate vacuum hose.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Mine is at a steady 20psi on idle. Did you T into a different line for your BOV? I used the same line, just curious?

Last edited:

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
I think so...yes. The red vacuum line comes off the top-back of the intake manifold...like a 90 degree rubber spark plug boot cap,etc..

...then the red vacuum lines " Y " into a rubber connector...this is where I utilized each red vacuum hose...ie...one for the blow off valve & the other for the boost gauge.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Mine too.. and at highway cruising its usually between 10in/hg and 0..

Oh... and i just put on that powerpipe!! I gained about 3.5PSI of boost.. but it wouldnt make any more than 461 because of the H-Pipe and Pegged MAF

-Homer

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Originally posted by IUP99snake
Mine too.. and at highway cruising its usually between 10in/hg and 0..

Oh... and i just put on that powerpipe!! I gained about 3.5PSI of boost.. but it wouldnt make any more than 461 because of the H-Pipe and Pegged MAF

-Homer

WOW... 3.5 Psi :beer: Very nice, they need to start selling that puppy to the GP. That's a great gain from a power pipe. Get the Univer and you should be straight.

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
Snake...u are running the 10 psi pulley or 8 psi like me?

Shouldn't the 8 psi pulley be pushing 400 rearwheel hp?

Users who are viewing this thread