Computer gurus.... HELP!!

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
i need some advice. My internet speed is around 7-8 mbps and it should be 17. my roommate is running 17 on both ethernet and wireless. he even took the cord from my computer and still ran 17. i have tried connecting using both a ethernet and wireless setup, both only running 7-8 mbps. what else can be slowing down my connection speed???

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Stupid scenario, do you have windows update downloading a billion updates? Windows update has no bandwith limit and will completely bog your internet down while downloading stuff....

How old is your NIC card?

03_SVT_Freak

Established Member
Stupid scenario, do you have windows update downloading a billion updates? Windows update has no bandwith limit and will completely bog your internet down while downloading stuff....

How old is your NIC card?

no updates. and the computer itself is less than a year old. got it off newegg. i know next to nothing about computers.

03_SVT_Freak

Established Member
Well I only recently ran a speed text so I'm not sure. I'm paying for 18 Mbps, my roommate it getting 17.4 on both wireless and eth, yet I'm only getting 7-9 on both. Not sure how long it's been this way but I have noticed its gotten slower. No new installs. Just my games and kerpasky software.

03_SVT_Freak

Established Member
ok well it turns out it was my kerpasky after all...

does anyone know of a GOOD antivirus software that doesnt **** with shit that like?

jdoyle

Computer Guru?
Established Member
how did you find out it was the kaspersky?

i use malware bytes anti malware and microsoft security essentials

03_SVT_Freak

Established Member
well i was kinda fibbing. i didnt uninstall it, merely turned it off. actually did the full uninstall and now my speed is back up.

can i have links for the antivirus you use?

jdoyle

Computer Guru?
Established Member
well i was kinda fibbing. i didnt uninstall it, merely turned it off. actually did the full uninstall and now my speed is back up.

can i have links for the antivirus you use?

id just start with microsoft security essentials, google it and you will find where you need to be. it is a microsoft product so dont download from anywhere but microsoft.com or windows.com. i schedule mine to do a full scan daily, which is probably overkill. a quick scan should suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread