Compression test results, 99 Cobra, 100k

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
So, I posted this thread last April and have yet to make working on the car a priority as I was busy w/remodeling the den in our house:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...gine-started-knocking-this-morning&highlight=

Over the weekend, I charged up the battery and did a compression test on the motor, mainly just for a piece of mind as I plan on pulling the engine and doing a handful of things while it's out (clutch, powder coat a few items, clean the engine bay, install headers, pull the timing & valve covers and inspect everything, etc.). I was pleasantly surprised with the results and wanted to share, get some reaction w/the motor having 100k on it. Figures are in order from front of the car to back:

Drivers Side:

Passenger Side:

I checked the lower reading on the drivers side twice and it came out the same both times, but it's still within a healthy spec in my opinion compared to the others. I didn't really have any inclination to believe that I would see low readings b/c the motor runs strong, even with the noise that crept out of nowhere last year. At any rate, just thought I'd share, still trying to find time to go ahead and pull the engine/trans and get started.

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
So, I posted this thread last April and have yet to make working on the car a priority as I was busy w/remodeling the den in our house:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...gine-started-knocking-this-morning&highlight=

Over the weekend, I charged up the battery and did a compression test on the motor, mainly just for a piece of mind as I plan on pulling the engine and doing a handful of things while it's out (clutch, powder coat a few items, clean the engine bay, install headers, pull the timing & valve covers and inspect everything, etc.). I was pleasantly surprised with the results and wanted to share, get some reaction w/the motor having 100k on it. Figures are in order from front of the car to back:

Drivers Side:

Passenger Side:

I checked the lower reading on the drivers side twice and it came out the same both times, but it's still within a healthy spec in my opinion compared to the others. I didn't really have any inclination to believe that I would see low readings b/c the motor runs strong, even with the noise that crept out of nowhere last year. At any rate, just thought I'd share, still trying to find time to go ahead and pull the engine/trans and get started.
If you're gonna pull the motor to do some powder coating among other things, why not just rebuild the motor? Seems like a wasted opportunity while the motor is out, imo

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Depends on his goals. If he's not looking to go with any kind of FI then there's really no point in pulling apart a good running engine. I've pulled engines before to clean up the engine compartment. Although they had carbs on top of the intakes.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Precisely ^^^ I only drive the car on nice days & weekends, it's not tracked, and the only mods are bolt-ons.

Even w/the motor out & the mileage, I can't justify spending a couple grand on a rebuild if it's unnecessary. The car might get driven 3-4k miles per year. The compression test more or less verifies that the engine is sound. All the other stuff I plan on doing is exponentially easier to do w/the engine out of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread