Compression Ratio Question

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
Looking for a little insight on what compression ratio to run. I started with a Ford Racing 11-17 Sportsman Block. We are going to be putting Darton Sleeves in and boring it to 5.2L. I have a boss crank for it and will be using Manley Rods with Diamond pistons. Ported Boss Heads will top the motor. I have a 3.6L Kenne Bell with the 10 rib drive set up. I will be retaining VCT in the car and running Cobra Jet Cams. Car will be both street and strip. Plan is to run it at around 15psi on 93 and when we go to the track swap pulleys and add race gas and be somewhere in the 20-25psi range. I have seen alot of guys running stock compression even on the higher PSI builds. So is it safe to say I could run 10:1 or even 11:1 without issues? Thanks for the help guys.

old01cobra

Established Member
E85 and don’t look back trust those that say this. Big 3.6 Kenne will love the 50 to 70 degree intake temperature drops with it. Look at all side by side dynos comparing c16 rocket 114 etc all others to E 85. Plus if you’re thinking 11:1 she’ll live a lot longer.

TVSed GT

Established Member
If you can keep octane up with e85 or race fuel don’t go below 11:1 or you’re leaving hp on the table. The old school mindset of forced induction requiring lower compression isn’t the way to go from my understanding

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You’re in Detroit and we have very good E85 in this area. It’ll be safer on the street than 93 and make as much or more than C16 while being easier on parts.
Run E85 and have two tunes. Easy.
Who does your tuning? Shop helping with the build?
11:1 range with E85 and VCT
-J

wirelessguy2005

Established Member
Another vote for E85, its way better than race gas snd will save you the time and effort of switching back and fourth from pump to race gas. I recently switched my car over and wondered why i didnt do it a long time ago.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Another vote for e85 and high compression. You're pretty much limited to 10-12psi with pump 93 and 11:1 compression.

Your build is similar to mine(sleeved, cams, ported heads) and i'm going with 12:1 compression.

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like 11:1 is where I will end up. Building this car from the ground up so I haven't even touched the fuel system yet. My only concern with e85 is finding it in the middle of nowhere. The goal with the car is to run drag week and possibly powertour with it. It will be another year before the car is even close to being ready to run. Just trying to get all the info I need before hand. Will try and upload a pic when I get back to my computer. Car is a 91 Mustang and will have a 8.50 cert cage but still have full entire with heat and AC.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I get it, I have a similar build going, but for the 99% of the time we enjoy them locally, we have killer pump E85 here easily found. You can always have a neutered no timing pump 91/93 tune for when you get stuck, but not really something I worry about in this area.
BTW, I loved the extremely low mile Silverfrost SVTC I owned from ‘08-11. I have a crazy rare ST220 Mondeo intake I had Extrude honed for a 3L build. It’s still in the garage, been lazy to post it on the contour.org or Ebay.
-J

old01cobra

Established Member
It took me awhile to register the E85 ideology. I don’t want to mess with the pump crap so I just went down and picked up ignite drums it’s 260 a barrel that’s half the price of pump race gas that I was using... I’ll take that lol

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
I get it, I have a similar build going, but for the 99% of the time we enjoy them locally, we have killer pump E85 here easily found. You can always have a neutered no timing pump 91/93 tune for when you get stuck, but not really something I worry about in this area.
BTW, I loved the extremely low mile Silverfrost SVTC I owned from ‘08-11. I have a crazy rare ST220 Mondeo intake I had Extrude honed for a 3L build. It’s still in the garage, been lazy to post it on the contour.org or Ebay.
-J
Yeah I thought about having different tunes on a switch. Been looking into even using HP tuners as well. Ment to answer your other question but my plan is to have Paul's In Jackson tune the car. And yeah I still have my T-red car. I'm the second owner of it but unfortunately it was my DD for 5 years and has 133k on it. Blew a brake line and well it's been in the corner of my barn since I moved. Someday i will get it going again. I have the same intake as well. Always wanted to turbo the car. I even have the rare as hell Mirko front splitter for it.
20190324_213951.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread