Comparison Test: Bassani Cat Back Sytem. VS Stock question

SVTNICK

Established Member
Im debating with myself about changing my stock exhaust system. How different is the Basssani exhaust from a stock 01 exhaust. Is it louder in the cabin? Does it resonate even more? I know my stock exhaust is the loudest stock exhaust on a Mustang that I have ever heard. I have yet to cruise in a Cobra with the Bassani exhaust, so I have nothing to really compare to.

Any advice or comments?? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Nick

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
With the baffles in the Bassani is just a little louder than the stock system. With the baffles out it's a heck of a lot louder than the stock system. I picked up 8HP and 4TQ from the stock system. The stock sytem must be very good. my .02 cents

Tim

fangstang

Established Member
Would you say that the Bassani sounds better?, or the same?, or just a lot louder? I 'm asking because I love the way my exhaust sounds and would only upgrade if it made more power and sounds just as good if not better.

Snake Eyez

Established Member
I love the way the Bassani sounds, and if you are going to change out the exhaust, go with the Bassani X-Pipe as well. That's where I noticed the biggest SOTP gain. I had the X pipe put on with the sock exhaust first and noticed the difference right away. If you are looking for HP gains and want to retain the factory exhaust sound, just go with the X-Pipe with Cats and keep the factory cat-back. An alternative for you would be to just cut out the stock mufflers and replace them with Flowmaster's.

I love the Bassani. It's great and it is louder and does resonate inside the cabin more than the stock system, but it allows the car to breath so much better than the stock system. I felt like the car was being choked by the stock system whenever I tried to get on it, but as soon as I had this put on, no more breathing problems.
You will love the way it sounds. IMHO it has the best prrrrr, but can really growl when you get on it.

SVTNICK

Established Member
Thats basically how I see it for the moment too Fangstang. I cant see myself spending cash for different exhaust without seeing some huge improvements. Headers I could go for..possibly. Id see a bigger net gain in HP with just headers and the stock exhaust. Granted Id see more with a new exhaust and headers, but i only want to spend on one or the other for now. Decisions Decisions....:bash:

SVTNICK

Established Member
Who made the stock exhaust for the 2001 Cobra. Somebody told me that it was Flowmaster. Im not sure if thats true though(it could be, it sounds similiar to the system on my 86's). Does anybody know or can confirm this?

-Nick

Snake Eyez

Established Member
Just go with the X-Pipe!

You can go with the X-Pipe and replace the stock mufflers with flowmasters for roughly the same cost as what the headers will cost you. You will get more HP from Headers, but it's a PITA to change them out from what I've heard. Just my $0.02

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTNICK
Who made the stock exhaust for the 2001 Cobra. Somebody told me that it was Flowmaster. Im not sure if thats true though(it could be, it sounds similiar to the system on my 86's). Does anybody know or can confirm this?

-Nick

-Your source is wrong, OEM catback was not made by Flowmaster. Sorry. :( I believe the correct OEM manufacturer is "Arvin." Someone correct me if I'm off....regards. :)

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRA90GT

-Your source is wrong, OEM catback was not made by Flowmaster. Sorry. :( I believe the correct OEM manufacturer is "Arvin." Someone correct me if I'm off....regards. :)

I don't know the name of the company, but Arvin sounds like one of the companies that make exhaust systems for Ford. I know for damn sure it wasn't Flowmaster.

sssSnake 01

Established Member
Im debating with myself about changing my stock exhaust system. How different is the Basssani exhaust from a stock 01 exhaust. Is it louder in the cabin? Does it resonate even more? I know my stock exhaust is the loudest stock exhaust on a Mustang that I have ever heard. I have yet to cruise in a Cobra with the Bassani exhaust, so I have nothing to really compare to.

Any advice or comments?? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Nick

SVTNICK

You can go to

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/sounds/sounds.htm

They have sound bites for you to compare stock with a MAC system. while it is not Bassani it will give you some idea what an aftermarket exhuast sounds like when compared to bone stock.

Also if you are looking for a Cheap hp gain, open up your intake by dropping in a K&N filter and while you are changing it out slip your air housing out and remove the air silencer.

I noticed the difference right away. The snake breathes easier and has better throttle response and a throatier growl.

Best part the K&N is around 40 bucks and removing the silencer is free.

There is a tech article on how to do this 15 minute procedure at mustang world.

The only thing I am not sure about is if pinging has anything to do with changing out the stock filter with a K&N. I have had mild pinging since my car was new. However, I put in my K&N within a week of buying the car.

If you decide to do this and you are currently running the stock filter let me know if you are experiencing any pinging under heavy acceleration now. If you make the swap listen for pinging while accellerating through 4K RPM. If you get it and were not previously experiencing it we might be able to solve the pinging detonation problems that many have reported.

Let me know what you decide to do and keep me posted.

Last edited:

SVTNICK

Established Member
sssSnake01-
I use KN on all my cars, but not on the Cobra until I have fully broken her in. I only ran her up to almost redline once at E-town..other than that I have been careful. N0 pinging. I have about 1100 mile on her and so far so good. I will probably put in the KN soon and I will let you know what happens.

-Nick

Last edited:

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
sssSnake01-
I use KN on all my cars, but not on the Cobra until I have fully broken her in. I only ran her up to almost redline once at E-town..other than that I have been careful. N0 pinging. I have about 1100 mile on her and so far so good. I will probably put in the KN soon and I will let you know what happens.

-Nick

-When you do decide to toss the 'ol K&N in, if you are considering removing the entire air silencer assembly, there is another option. Not meant to flame any prior thoughts on removing the air silencer, just a different viewpoint/opinion: I have read about several people (mostly over on the Corral) knifing the air silencer at the point where it meets the fenderwell. Two reasons for this: leaving the air silencer on (although now modified/altered) will bring in much more airflow, but not any engine bay heat. Fully removing the air silencer makes the filter get dirty much faster and exposes the intact tract to much hotter temps (and we know that isn't wanted).

-Granted, the actual results of this "mod" are probably not worth more than 1-3 HP, but it gives you something to think about. Whether you remove the whole silencer or choose to modify it is up to you, but the latter idea seems a little more "intuitive" anyways, at least to me. Regards. :)

isdnmatt

Established Member
I put the K&N in after about 300 miles.

Also, I suggest an O/R H or X pipe. You'll get quite a bit of power and I LOVE the sound with the stock catback.

-Matt

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by isdnmatt
I put the K&N in after about 300 miles.

Also, I suggest an O/R H or X pipe. You'll get quite a bit of power and I LOVE the sound with the stock catback.

-Matt

-What brand O/R "H" are you running? Just curious...thanks.

sssSnake 01

Established Member
Cobra90GT

I like your idea. I thought about doing that to create a makeshift cold air intake. However, I have always tried to keep all factory parts just in case i want to return to bone stock. I have considered the idea and opted out. I thought about buying a cold air intake and just installing it. It would probably be cheaper to get another air silencer than pay for the whole new intake set up.

Do you think that your idea produces a cold air intake that is as good as one specifically designed for that purpose?

I would take a knife to it if it does.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by sssSnake 01
Cobra90GT

I like your idea. I thought about doing that to create a makeshift cold air intake. However, I have always tried to keep all factory parts just in case i want to return to bone stock. I have considered the idea and opted out. I thought about buying a cold air intake and just installing it. It would probably be cheaper to get another air silencer than pay for the whole new intake set up.

Do you think that your idea produces a cold air intake that is as good as one specifically designed for that purpose?

I would take a knife to it if it does.

-Well, I have to say that my "idea" was basically just info that I picked up on while surfing over at the Corral's msg forums...got to give credit where credit is due. :) I think it's a good idea (very valid point actually) to keep the stock parts as close to OEM condition as possible. (for warranty and for future/potential re-sale value purposes) That is something that I thought about as well. I figure the cost of buying an aftermarket CAI do not meet my needs. I don't take it to the track or auto-cross, but I don't think a CAI is a waste either. I'm sure a CAI has advantages over the "modified air silencer" trick that many people use, but I don't know the specifics (I'm guessing that burning off a chip would yield the best results; tuning the engine parameters...). In the end, I don't think I could honestly answer your Q though, maybe someone else has more factual information... (my guess is that a new Cold Air Intake (w/ EEC or chip tuned for it) would vastly improve upon the stock setup as well as the modified air silencer setup). Regards...

Users who are viewing this thread